Thread: Used Festool tool input requested

Used Festool tool input requested

I'm going to look at some Festool tools that a gentleman is selling locally and would like to know if there are any things to watch out for. These are all older models as they come with the older style Systainers.

I'm most interested in the TS75EQ track saw with multiple lengths of tracks and a 1400EQ router. I've researched new pricing on everything but wanted to know if there have been any functional changes to these machines over the last few years that would make these two older tools less desirable. Are there any other things to watch out for around wear of the tools/guides or commonly misplaced attachments? I can't seem to find a list online for each one that shows what is included when you purchase new.

Thanks in advance. Timing may be great as I was planning on purchasing the smaller track saw before the price increases in February.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Wes

The only real changes to the OF1400 that I'm aware of is that if you buy a new one right now, you can only get it (in the US) with Imperial scales, rather than the Metrci scales you find on the one you're looking at and that I own. AWESOME router. The TS75EQ is the larger of the saws and has more depth than the TS55 that I own. That alone is a nice feature, albeit at the expense of additional weight. And yes, it's somewhat hard to find details on older Festool models, it seams. TS75EQ appears to be the current version, but I could be wrong about that. http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/t...ut-saw/c/1316/
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm not sure if the 1400 router always came with a 1/2" collet. Maybe early on it only had a 8 mm?

Metric markings on the depth stop for the router is not a show-stopper. I peeled the metric scale off mine, to replace it with a decimal-inch scale.

The TS55 got the improvements, I think the TS75 is unchanged. The new TS5 just work better BUT if you need the bigger capacity.....

One big disadvantage is the older systainers if you are hauling the stuff around a lot. We thought the original systainer were great but the tlocks re just so much easier to haul around.

Generally, used Festool items sells for way too much compared to new with the warranty. If you can get these for a reasonable discount, it generally means he doesn't want to sell them on ebay or other ways where he reaches a big market and the tools sell for silly close to new.

I agree about the old systainers. The new ones are much easier to latch and unlatch. I bought a couple of empty new systainers to replace my old style Domino systainers.

But I kept the old systainers and put some other tools in them - tools I don't use as much.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The 75 is a beast of a saw and hasn't been updated. And if the used one you are looking at is called an OF1400 EQ, it hasn't been updated either, save for the metric-imperial thing Jim mentioned. Also, I believe the older OF1400 EQ used to come with an edge guide as part of the kit, which they stopped doing at some point, say maybe 5 (?) years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I'm not sure if the 1400 router always came with a 1/2" collet. Maybe early on it only had a 8 mm?
    You're close...it didn't originally come with a 1/4" collet (as I found out recently when needing one...) Only that basement entrance is saving you at this point...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-21-2018 at 10:03 AM.
    --

Wes

I'm a carpenter and have been using Festool equipment since 1999. I still use the same tools I purchased then including a track saw, vac, router, jig saw various sanders and power plane. All I can say is that if I was still living in Topeka I'd already have purchased these tools before you could get there. I looked at his ad and I would not hesitate to buy all of it.If you are doing carpentry work you can make more money using Festool's system than without it. It was designed for use in the field by carpenters and is widely used in Europe. You can acquire any parts you need from Festool. Good luck

I recently had to look into the wear strips that go into the Tracksaw's groove. I was surprised to find that some of the older saws didn't have these on both sides of the groove, meaning that the plate itself would wear. Might not be a huge deal, but I'd check they are of I were buying one of these saws.

Thanks for the input. I went and checked them out today and everything looks good. All of the tools come with quite a few extras so I feel even better about what I paid.

I didn't pick them up and will get them tomorrow after work. I'll try to get some pictures once I get them home. The gentleman selling them is extremely nice and spent over an hour showing me the rest of his shop.

Thanks again for the help. Your comments helped put my mind at ease that I wasn't buying something that had been improved on significantly over the years.

Wes

A lot of my Festool kit has been purchased used. So far I haven’t had anything fail. I too prefer the T-loc but the old style is a much stronger design imo though. Just used the old style sys-5 for my TS75 as a step stool over the weekend as a matter of fact. I get real nervous standing on the T Locs - still do it from time to time but the classic sustainers will hold my 195lbs without giving me jitters.

I now have a mixture of original and T-Loc Systainers because of recent purchases. T-Lock certainly is easier (especially on my hands which I have issues with) but the original, when fastened shut, ain't coming open merely by bumping them.
    --