Thread: Mini Split Filtration

Mini Split Filtration

I am getting ready to install a mini split in my garage shop. For those of you that have them in your shop, do take any extra precautions in regards to the dust? I have read to just be extra vigilant in cleaning the filter. I have a ceiling mounted air filter and I have a dust collector but, like everyone I am sure, there still can be quite a bit of dust with various operations.

Mine just gets lots of dust on the filters (which are pretty garbage, reusable filters. I just vacuum them periodically, and find I have to spray them with coil cleaner to eliminate a musty smell a couple of times a year. Otherwise, the system works great.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I clean my mini split filters a couple times a month. Then gently blow the dust off the coils with the compressor every couple of months. Mine has been running for a year and a half now and I have not had any mold or musty smell. Mine is set so the fan runs continuously in cooling mode which might make a difference. Just barely detectable air flow when the compressor is not running. Never put the machine in heat mode once last winter, this winter is a different story. We have had two nights the temps went below freezing and the heat cycle works great.

The filters that come with them don't do much of anything. You can buy a cut-to-fit filter and set it over the intake for when you're making a lot of dust. But be careful as they will affect the airflow and thus the efficiency. They also might screw with the smart thermostats.

This is one area where window units have a big edge. My window unit can just be lifted out of the frame and (gently) cleaned with a pressure washer. That's nice!

Cleaning the coils of a mini split is not so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    I clean my mini split filters a couple times a month. Then gently blow the dust off the coils with the compressor every couple of months. Mine has been running for a year and a half now and I have not had any mold or musty smell. Mine is set so the fan runs continuously in cooling mode which might make a difference. Just barely detectable air flow when the compressor is not running. Never put the machine in heat mode once last winter, this winter is a different story. We have had two nights the temps went below freezing and the heat cycle works great.
    I don't keep mine on continuously, but during the summer it sees serious use. Mine is about 10 years old now, so take that for what it's worth regarding the musty smell.

We obviously both have the same climate (where are you in the Tampa Bay area? I'm in Seminole), but my unit doesn't have the heat pump function, so I bought a small wall mounted heater that I use down here if I need to do any finishing during the winter. It gets use several days a year, and I'm thrilled I got it.

Which unit do you have that has that fan mode? It sounds like a good feature to have. Mine doesn't have it.

Most people rate the Mitsubishi Mr Slim units very highly. Tim, please let us know which unit you purchased and how you like it in a few months. Mini-splits are very popular here for people's workshops.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 01-21-2018 at 9:22 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

I have a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim that runs mostly weekends in summer and winter. I have pretty decent dust collection in the shop, and clean the filters every 2 - 4 weeks.

I shut off the unit before any operation that's bound to get significant dust in the air, including sweeping the floor.

After 2 or 3 summers, the drain line clogged (luckily noticed it before any water damage in the shop). Upon advice from the HVAC company, I now pour a couple quarts of water through the drain line as part of my cleaning routine, and have not had problems since. (Also added a water alarm under the unit.)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I don't keep mine on continuously, but during the summer it sees serious use. Mine is about 10 years old now, so take that for what it's worth regarding the musty smell.

We obviously both have the same climate (where are you in the Tampa Bay area? I'm in Seminole), but my unit doesn't have the heat pump function, so I bought a small wall mounted heater that I use down here if I need to do any finishing during the winter. It gets use several days a year, and I'm thrilled I got it.

Which unit do you have that has that fan mode? It sounds like a good feature to have. Mine doesn't have it.

Most people rate the Mitsubishi Mr Slim units very highly. Tim, please let us know which unit you purchased and how you like it in a few months. Mini-splits are very popular here for people's workshops.
    I am in Tarpon Springs, or just outside it anyway. I have a Pioneer from Highseer.com. So far a pretty nice unit. I installed it myself with no glitches at all. Cleaned up the installation mess, turned it on and have not touched it since except for normal maintenance.

Thanks for the good info everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    I am in Tarpon Springs, or just outside it anyway. I have a Pioneer from Highseer.com. So far a pretty nice unit. I installed it myself with no glitches at all. Cleaned up the installation mess, turned it on and have not touched it since except for normal maintenance.
    My unit is a Pioneer as well. I am doing the majority of the install but I have an HVAC guy that's going to do the final connections and vacuum the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim M Tuttle View Post
    My unit is a Pioneer as well. I am doing the majority of the install but I have an HVAC guy that's going to do the final connections and vacuum the line.
    That's the approach I took, and I plan on doing that again next time.

I have two Fredrichs in the house. They are half as loud as many of the name brand ones. including Mittsubishi. I oversized the units so I can run them on a lower/quieter setting. In the bedroom I have one evaporator on an inside wall. I just ran the lineset inside the wall sleeved in insulation. I used a foam swim noddle for pushing strength but I had to enlarge the hole to get everything inside. I was not positive about the bottom so I poured perlite inside the wall cavity.
    Bill D

Next time instead of a cup of water try a cup of bleach. Bleach is a good degreaser if you don't have a commercial product handy. I also cut bleach with water and apply with a spray bottle to clean the coils every now and then. This will also help keep the drain pan and drain line clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Next time instead of a cup of water try a cup of bleach. Bleach is a good degreaser if you don't have a commercial product handy. I also cut bleach with water and apply with a spray bottle to clean the coils every now and then. This will also help keep the drain pan and drain line clean.
    That's what I do with our regular central AC drain lines. Works well, though blowing them out with those pressure thingys works well too.

I made a box that covers the air intake and I have a pair of disposable filters that are like 12" by 18". They get changed when the look dirty. the standard filter didn't look like it would filter much and it would clog quickly. Because I have 36 sq inches of pleated paper I have like 20X the filter area of the reusable included filter.