Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanley #25 bevel

Stanley #25 bevel

We go garage sailing once in a while and if I don't see tools I don't slow down unless I'm asked to by the copilot. Well she wanted to look at this one that had, as far as I could see, nothing but stuff. Well imagine my surprise when I found these 4 beauties sitting by their lonesome. She wanted 25 for them, but took a 20. Best 20 bucks I've ever spent. I've had 1 for a while and love how easy it is to tighten with the thumb lever. I now have 5 of them. 2 have Stanley on the wood, the others are stamped on the blades. One has the sweetheart stamp as well.

20180120_152103.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Nice gets! The Stanley 25 bevel is underappreciated. Once you learn how to set them properly (see below), they can be set just as tight as the No. 18 (with the tightening bolt in the tail), but with one hand. Stanley, in one of the early catalogs, says "These bevels are so constructed that the bevel blade can be firmly secured by moving the lever with the thumb of the hand which grasps the handle, thus leaving free the other hand of the workman." They're a godsend for remodeling, because you can take off an angle for a piece of trim while standing on a ladder - use two fingers on the blade and two on the stock to push the bevel into the spot from which you're taking the angle, then the remaining finger to push the lever tight. No need to contort yourself to get both hands on the bevel, while balancing on the ladder.

Flip them over: is there a hex nut on the back side, as on the left below?
    Bevels both back.jpg
    Then you're really in luck: this will permit you to fine tune the lever placement such that you can lock it tighttighttight while keeping the lever within the width of the stock, so it won't interfere with your layouts. The other type has a carriage bolt with a hex shoulder. If you're lucky, you can accomplish the same thing by fussing around with how it's oriented; but often, one setting is wrong to one side, the next wrong to the other. You can make very thin washers from shim stock (or aluminum beer cans), but the nut's better. I don't know why they dropped it.

Bill, who owns several 25s, and other bevels, and would have to go out to the shop to count them...and is still looking for the longer ones (they went up to 14")

Blog Entries
    I have one of those somewhere, I need to look for it.
    Harvey made my shop to be a mess. I'm still looking for things.

Blog Entries
    Flip them over: is there a hex nut on the back side, as on the left below?
    Click image for larger version.

Then you're really in luck: this will permit you to fine tune the lever placement such that you can lock it tighttighttight while keeping the lever within the width of the stock, so it won't interfere with your layouts.
    A great price for a great find.

One of mine with the hex nut on the back was always getting loose. A carefully drilled hole and a piece of brass rod inserted into the hole followed by a slight turn of the nut to jam the rod stopped the slipping.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

yes, all of them have the square sleeve on the nut that lets you adjust where the lever falls. And they all stay tight. Great tools.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Been using mine quite a bit, lately

IMG_2931 (640x480).jpg

bill thanks for the tip about adjusting the nut, that was the one complaint i had about the one i have that the lever would get in the way. jerry

I had a couple of Disston’s version, as well as a couple #75. They sure are pretty. I had issues with the lever alignment like Bill discusses above. They went away in a tool purge last year. I have 3 #18 bevels now of various sizes. Not as pretty, but great users.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    One of mine with the hex nut on the back was always getting loose. A carefully drilled hole and a piece of brass rod inserted into the hole followed by a slight turn of the nut to jam the rod stopped the slipping.

jtk
    One of the low-grade loctite products will also work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    One of the low-grade loctite products will also work.
    Yeah, Loctite 242 (the blue stuff) would get the job done, and can be loosened by hand. Avoid Loctite 271 (the red stuff) though, as it has to be heated to ~500F for removal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Yeah, Loctite 242 (the blue stuff) would get the job done, and can be loosened by hand. Avoid Loctite 271 (the red stuff) though, as it has to be heated to ~500F for removal.
    Not having any Loctite in the shop and not wanting to drive into town for something that has caused me problems in the past led to devising a quick fix with what was on hand.

For me, Loctite seldom seems to be the right answer. There are just too many different types for me to keep them all straight.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Not having any Loctite in the shop and not wanting to drive into town for something that has caused me problems in the past led to devising a quick fix with what was on hand.

For me, Loctite seldom seems to be the right answer. There are just too many different types for me to keep them all straight.
    In terms of thread lockers there are really just the two: 242/blue/temporary and 271/red/permanent. I keep some of each on hand. The challenge is that the Loctite brand has also been applied to a huge range of adhesives, such as the former "Hysol" line of structural epoxies.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    In terms of thread lockers there are really just the two: 242/blue/temporary and 271/red/permanent. I keep some of each on hand. The challenge is that the Loctite brand has also been applied to a huge range of adhesives, such as the former "Hysol" line of structural epoxies.
    Whatever works for you.

In my experience some brass bolts held together with Loctite self destructed when trying to unfasten them. For me castle nuts, staking the nut, nylock nuts or lock washers have usually worked very well.

jtk

Been using mine for quite a while...have yet to see a need to "lock it down" and make it non-adjustable. I prefer that I can move the setting as I need to. If you don't want to move it, make something that will stay that way, and hang it up for later. I will keep mine adjustable....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Been using mine for quite a while...have yet to see a need to "lock it down" and make it non-adjustable. I prefer that I can move the setting as I need to. If you don't want to move it, make something that will stay that way, and hang it up for later. I will keep mine adjustable....
    If there is confusion, let me clear it up. The idea is to not make it a single for all time setting. My purpose for pinning the hex nut on the back is so it stays the same and the lever lock always locks out of the way of the sides that register to the work. In the case of Loctite my understanding it is just for keeping the hex nut from turning for the same result. The lever still moves free as will the arm when the lever is loosened.

jtk