Thread: Band saw blades need shortened

Band saw blades need shortened

hello, been a member here for a while but not active for the past years though. Just wondering if there is anyone in this group who can, or knows some one who can shorten some band saw blades. A friend gave me some decnt blades brand new in the box buy they are like 10-11 inches to long for my saw. I am willing to pay as well as shipping. Is there anybody out there that can point me in the right direction..Jeff

There's a shop near where I live that buys it's bandsaw blade stock in big rolls, then cuts and welds whatever length of blades you order. That's pretty common, and anyplace that can do that can cut and re-weld your blades for you. I had that done once. I can't remember what they charged, but it was less than $5 per blade.

--Geoff

What Geoff said. Here in Bellingham there is an excellent saw shop who makes up their own band saw blades. I've been using them for several decades. You don't post your location, but I think if you look around you could find a saw shop where you live.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

40 years ago I worked in a machine shop and used a metal cutting bandsaw. The blades broke every now and then and could be welded by using gear built into the saw. Know anyone with a metal cutting bandsaw? Or maybe they don't do that anymore.

Lee Valley sells a splice kit for repairing bandsaw blades, haven't used it myself but have seen positive reviews for it.
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...036,41048&ap=1

Doug, I have repaired a half dozen blades for my metal bandsaw using the same technique as the Lee Valley splice kit. There are some youtube videos out there also. I carefully taper the two blade ends so that they overlap (perhaps 1/8" or slightly more) in a scarf joint. Because of the mating tapers, the finished blade is the same thickness as before. Silver solder is incredibly strong and I have not had a silver-soldered scarf joint break or otherwise come apart. So if a person loves to tinker and do stuff like this, it DOES work.

Brice, I didn't realize the Lee Valley kit involved a scarf joint but it makes sense that a butt joint wouldn't have much strength. I have a broken blade myself that broke on the weld so I could get it rewelded by the supplier at no charge but I would have to ship it back east at my cost (they would repair and return ship for free). Shipping would be about 1/3 the cost of the kit so I may just buy the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Stempien View Post
    hello, been a member here for a while but not active for the past years though. Just wondering if there is anyone in this group who can, or knows some one who can shorten some band saw blades. A friend gave me some decnt blades brand new in the box buy they are like 10-11 inches to long for my saw. I am willing to pay as well as shipping. Is there anybody out there that can point me in the right direction..Jeff
    You might find a place near you which can resize the blades. I buy bandsaw blades from a local place which makes them up from Lenox bulk blade stock. You might find a similar place using this: http://www.lenoxtools.com/pages/wheretobuy.aspx Put in your zip code and select "bandsaw" to search.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    It would be a bit easier if you identified the part of the world where you are located.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Ahhhh yes I am located in Greenwich Connecticut. As a young lad I worked in a machine shop that had several giant band saws. Each had a butt splice welder on them built into the saw. These blades I have have for my Grizzley are just to long appreciated any help Thanks Jeff