Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reasons for Festool vs. Fein Dust Extractor

Reasons for Festool vs. Fein Dust Extractor

I have a DominoXL and just purchased a Festool sander and now want to get a dust extractor. According to the specs, they both have auto start, suction adjustment, HEPA and are quiet. The Fein has more CFM and higher water lift. So is there any reason to buy the Festool at almost $300 more? I don't really care about the collection size as I will be using with a Dust Deputy.

I am looking at the Festool C26 and Fein TurboII HEPA.

I'm seriously looking for answers. If there is a reason Festool would be a better choice I want to know, but I can't find it?

Thanks!

From a general functional perspective, either machine is great for the job. The Festool is the better choice if you want/need to "embrace the system", such as being able to attach Festool systainers and other accommodations on top of the extractor or utilize the hose-garage feature that Festool provides. One thing...at least for the Festool, but maybe for the Fein, too, but I'm not familiar with it...I don't prefer to use this kind of vac for "shop cleanup" because of the bags and their cost. I only use my Festool extractor for off-the-tool collection. I keep a small shop vac for general cleanup (a 4 gal Ridgid in my case) since I can just dump that into the trash after a thorough shop cleanup.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-20-2018 at 3:36 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for that answer Jim, it's sort of what I was thinking. I am a hobbyist and not will be taking these tools out to job sites. I bought the festool for 2 reasons, I prefer to buy things only once, so I get the best I can afford, and I want the best dust control I can get. They excel at both and I really like them. So, as far as the dust extractor I really only care about function and what I can afford. If the Fein is equal in function, then I want to go with it because it's less expensive, leaving more money for tools and wood :-)

David

I have been using a Fein Turbo II with my Festool tools for years now. I owned the Fein before I bought my first Festool product.
    They work together just fine.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I use the festool vac that I use with my domino. Works well.
    I recall thinking that the Fein seemed like it might be even slighly better of a vacuum (maybe quieter? or something about the bag they can use) when I saw one in a friend's shop, although I haven't used one extensively myself.

I do think the flat top of the festool is an advantage. Stacking the festool cases is one option, or the various festool handles/boom-arms.

In my case, I have the ultimate dust deputy on top of the vacuum. This works well at separating the majority of the debris, so I happily use this with all of my tools with shop-vac ports. (small bandsaw/rigid sander/domino/etc.). The resulting assembly is a bit awkward with the hose routing. I'd like it better if I set up a handle to maneuver the car and had a place to loop+clip the hose. I think there have been a couple of versions of this with slightly different hoses/adapters and also strategies for addressing ESD.

Matt
    Last edited by Matthew Hills; 01-20-2018 at 4:57 PM.

6. I have used a friend turbo 2 for years with my festool and other brand tools in the shop. I have a ct22 for when I need to be portable. Fein is great if not moving around much but the festool vac shines for portability and when moving from area to area due mostly to attachment of systainers to the vac and hose garage.

I'd get the Festool vacuum just for the ease of clipping the dust deputy into the top of it.

I bought into the system, but the one reason I would recommend the festool is the auto start feature. It is really important to have extraction with the domino, and if you are like me at times and forget to turn the vac on you could see rougher cuts and shorter life of the domino cutter/bits. If the Fein has auto start then save some money. I also heard the new Makita vacs have auto start now.

The Festool vac is unimpressive, for the cost.

Honestly, I'd try to dissuade you from the Fein, too.

For $99, you can get one of these: https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/14-gall...ce-wet-dry-vac
    170CFM, and nearly as quiet as the Festool or Fein (you can have a conversation while it's running).

For another $30, you can add a CleanStream Pro HEPA filter, and for another $20, an auto-start tool trigger. Probably another $30 for a 1.25" diameter hose. For under $200, you've got a HEPA shop vac that moves a ton of air, and you don't need a separate "dust extractor" for the power tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    The Festool vac is unimpressive, for the cost.

Honestly, I'd try to dissuade you from the Fein, too.

For $99, you can get one of these: https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/14-gall...ce-wet-dry-vac
    170CFM, and nearly as quiet as the Festool or Fein (you can have a conversation while it's running).

For another $30, you can add a CleanStream Pro HEPA filter, and for another $20, an auto-start tool trigger. Probably another $30 for a 1.25" diameter hose. For under $200, you've got a HEPA shop vac that moves a ton of air, and you don't need a separate "dust extractor" for the power tools.
    I essentially did this - maybe not with the exact same parts that Dan mentioned but the end result is the same. I used an i-Vac as a sensor to turn the vac on when I turn my tool on, and an inexpensive "router speed control" to control the amount of suction. Here's a couple of pictures and you can look here and go to the posting of 9/2/2012.
    Sanding-station1.jpg Sanding-station2.jpg

I've been using it at least that long and never had a problem.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I actually do have the setup that Dan mentions here, but with a Dust Deputy and it works very well for cleaning up the shop and even works well with the Domino, circular saw and the router. The sander dust extraction is really what I'm not happy with. When I'm finished sanding a board with this setup there is still lots of fine dust left on the board and in the air, I'm sure. With the Festool or Fein I'm really counting on that dust being collected. I believe it's the Water lift or Static pressure that differentiates the dust extractor from the shop vac and does so well at collecting fine dust at the tool. Am I correct about this?

I have a CT26. Great vacuum, I've been very happy with it.

I use it with the domino/routers/sanders/track saw/mitre saw. Tons of capacity. It takes forever to fill the bag. I'd have a hard time paying what they cost new today though since there are a couple options.

If I got a replacement/second vacuum it would probably be that Fein. Unless you want the hose garage or systainer compatibility get the Fein.

I wouldn't get the Rigid... been there done that... there is no comparison to a quality vac like you are looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by David Justice View Post
    I actually do have the setup that Dan mentions here, but with a Dust Deputy and it works very well for cleaning up the shop and even works well with the Domino, circular saw and the router. The sander dust extraction is really what I'm not happy with. When I'm finished sanding a board with this setup there is still lots of fine dust left on the board and in the air, I'm sure. With the Festool or Fein I'm really counting on that dust being collected. I believe it's the Water lift or Static pressure that differentiates the dust extractor from the shop vac and does so well at collecting fine dust at the tool. Am I correct about this?
    I'm afraid Water lift or Static pressure will make no difference in dust extraction. The *ONLY* thing that removes dust is air flow.... if air is not flowing, neither is the dust. The faster the air flows and the larger the volume of air moving, the more dust it can carry. Put some dust in the palm of your hand, jamb the nozzle of *any* vacuum over top so air cannot enter the nozzle, turn the vacuum on and then off.... after the motor completely stops, lift the nozzle and all the dust will still be in the palm of your hand..... unless the static pressure is so high that it ruptures the blood vessels in your hand and manages to set up a "blood flow" instead of "air flow".

Noise, air flow and filtration are the key points of any vacuum, spend your money wisely. As for your sanding situation, the sander itself makes the biggest difference in dust collection (properly designed airflow and collection points), so perhaps that is one place improvement can be made.

I purchased a Fein to use with my Domino and I like it quite a bit - excellent suction, autostart, hose fits the Domino out of the box. However, I find that I often wonder if I should have gotten a Festool vac and mounted a Dust Deputy on it. I also think I would like the hose arm that Festool sells. Hard to say if these things would be worth the extra money, though. Festool hoses and adapters are ridiculously expensive. Fein's adapters are available on Amazon for about 1/2 what Festool adapters cost.

I did end up buying a Dust Deputy for my Fein and built a cart to make them both portable. There are lots of plans for this online. Here's mine:

IMG_20170902_083024.jpgIMG_20170902_082807.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Kocher View Post
    I wouldn't get the Rigid... been there done that... there is no comparison to a quality vac like you are looking at.
    I'm a Festool fan, so this is no argument about the aesthetics of lime green paint (), but I'm not sure I agree.

The new Rigid model with the "scroll noise reduction" and a HEPA filter is really, really nice. I've actually stopped using the Hover in the house (I doubt the dish-sponge sized "filter" is exactly HEPA rated...) in favor of the Rigid - it just moves SO MUCH air, and with a few attachments, goes everywhere (and is MUCH quieter). I just can't see how anything else could give any better quality or performance.