Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Reasons for Festool vs. Fein Dust Extractor

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Any thoughts on the OF1010?
    I like my OF1010, too. DC isn't quite as good as with the larger unit and, of course, you're limited to 1/4" and 8mm collets. For smaller tasks, it's a comfortable tool to use for sure. Of the two, I use the OF1400 the most, but that's because the majority of my bits are 1/2" shank. When the job calls for 1/4" or 8mm shank, I have no issue pulling out the OF1010 if it's the right tool for the job. If you're only going to buy one...make it the OF1400. It's suited to "almost everything" except swinging "really big" bits in a table...and I'd never put it in a table.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    The Festool vac is unimpressive, for the cost.

Honestly, I'd try to dissuade you from the Fein, too.

For $99, you can get one of these: https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/14-gall...ce-wet-dry-vac
    170CFM, and nearly as quiet as the Festool or Fein (you can have a conversation while it's running).

For another $30, you can add a CleanStream Pro HEPA filter, and for another $20, an auto-start tool trigger. Probably another $30 for a 1.25" diameter hose. For under $200, you've got a HEPA shop vac that moves a ton of air, and you don't need a separate "dust extractor" for the power tools.

I also have a Ridgid setup. One of the newer, quieter 16 gallon vacuums.. this would be the Contractor version with handle, tool pouch and large wheels. Package includes a HEPA filter and muffler. I could not ask for anything more. I did add the Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...597,62621&ap=1 which includes a flexible hose and some attachments. Vac was priced at $129 CDN so all told with hose kit -> $200CDN. Also works extremely well as a shop vac... Very slick and I get compliments and questions about it.

I had this same Rigid setup, same vac, HEPA filter, Auto switch and all. I bought the Fein for my Domino and sander and the difference is unbelievable! No matter what Rigid claims, the Fein has much greater suction and is much quieter. Using my Festool sander, the Rigid always left quite a bit of dust on the wood, but using the fein....nothing. The Fein is worth every penny to me. I still use the Rigid for general shop cleanup, but I wouldn't use it for dust extraction from a tool again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I like my OF1010, too. DC isn't quite as good as with the larger unit and, of course, you're limited to 1/4" and 8mm collets. For smaller tasks, it's a comfortable tool to use for sure. Of the two, I use the OF1400 the most, but that's because the majority of my bits are 1/2" shank. When the job calls for 1/4" or 8mm shank, I have no issue pulling out the OF1010 if it's the right tool for the job. If you're only going to buy one...make it the OF1400. It's suited to "almost everything" except swinging "really big" bits in a table...and I'd never put it in a table.
    Jim
    I have the 1400 and the 2200. Given a choice between the two, I would take the 2200, regardless of it's ability to use large diameter bits, without being mounted in a table. I find it balances better in my hands than the 1400. It is such a nice router to use.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The 2200 is a beast and does what it does well. If I'm not mistaken, it has a non-Festool origination, however. I find the OF1400 to be very comfortable to use, but this is always a subjective thing and each of us will likely have different likes and dislikes around how things feel.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...