Thread: Walnut Natural edge, almost

Walnut Natural edge, almost

My club gave me a chunk of green walnut last week and i decided to make a natural edge out of it, well i began turning and was trying the push cut that i am new to and was having some difficulty but i'm not convince yet that it was my technique as much as not getting sharp enough tools off the grinder, I was leading the edge with bevel rubbing and turned about 45 degrees, i was also trying to push more down on the rest than into the piece as i found that rubbing the bevel should be more like following the bevel. Well let me tell you these were some rough cuts, lots of effort, which judging by other youtube videos iv'e watched i was doing something wrong but kind of believe it was my gouge, either not sharp enough or wrong bevel. I had all my bowl gouges sharpened with a 50 degree bevel but watched Stuart Batty video and decided to go with a 45 degree grind instead, although he does a 40/40 grind. That said, my wheel on my grinder is a whit wheel, and is getting rather small and is in need of a changing, I'm guessing its down to about a 5 to 6 inch wheel now. I have a blue Nortan wheel that i will change it out with until i can afford a CBN wheel.

Anyway, through lots of sanding, this natural edge which lost its bark measure 7 1/2" wide by 5 5/8" deep, and about a 1/4" in wall thickness.
    walnut ne 1.jpgwalnut ne 2.jpgwalnut ne 3.jpgwalnut ne.jpgSorry about the not so professional pictures and there is some lint still on it from the beal buffing system, well off to more turning

Ron, I think that it looks great without the bark. A very nice piece of wood and well-turned!

Barkless natural edge is like a "Hairless Chihuahua". I like it. I do a lot of barkless NE pieces since a lot of the tree wood available here is springtime or early summer when the bark will not hold. Nice natural yarn hole but may need to be smoothed up a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shanaphy View Post
    Ron, I think that it looks great without the bark. A very nice piece of wood and well-turned!
    Thank you, it still could have used a little work , I just wasn't happy with the cut I was getting (especially on wet wood) so there was some flat spots to it but I didn't want to go any farther because my cuts were so laborious. I'll have to get some in my club to show me what I'm doing wrong or maybe my grind on my gouge is wrong or still not sharp enough. But after a lot of sanding I did get it to look pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Barkless natural edge is like a "Hairless Chihuahua". I like it. I do a lot of barkless NE pieces since a lot of the tree wood available here is springtime or early summer when the bark will not hold. Nice natural yarn hole but may need to be smoothed up a little.
    That's funny, that's what my girlfriend said.