Thread: Center support post- stupid questions

Blog Entries

Center support post- stupid questions

I managed to pick up a Minimax T120 duplicator lathe. After cleaning it up I noticed it needs a bit of TLC to bring it back to life.

It has a live center, which I managed to knock out. The bearing is noisy so I will likely replace it. Anyone know the taper?

the support for the live center is very hard working, I’ve released all locks, but the thing has not been oiled...ever, so my question is how easily should this function? The support is a simple acme screw that pushes the taper support out but does not draw it back. I’m assuming it should be able to be pushed back by hand.

The motor starts and runs but someone repaired it at some point, poorly, so I’ll either have a local repair shop fix it or replace with a dc variable speed lesson motor I’ve got. Any thoughts?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I managed to pick up a Minimax T120 duplicator lathe. After cleaning it up I noticed it needs a bit of TLC to bring it back to life.

It has a live center, which I managed to knock out. The bearing is noisy so I will likely replace it. Anyone know the taper?

the support for the live center is very hard working, I’ve released all locks, but the thing has not been oiled...ever, so my question is how easily should this function? The support is a simple acme screw that pushes the taper support out but does not draw it back. I’m assuming it should be able to be pushed back by hand.

The motor starts and runs but someone repaired it at some point, poorly, so I’ll either have a local repair shop fix it or replace with a dc variable speed lesson motor I’ve got. Any thoughts?

This says the tapers in the headstock and tailstock are #2MT (like most lathes): https://www.scmgroup.com/products/do...0L0365558F.pdf

The quill on the tailstock on most lathes should work very easily. They occasionally have to be disassembled, cleaned, perhaps deburred, and lubricated. I've never seen a lathe that didn't retract the tailstock quill but I have zero experience or knowledge of the Minmax.

What is the motor HP? The one in the PDF is 2HP or 2.5HP. I understand some variable speed DC motors may not produce the torque of motors typically used on wood lathes, especially at the low range. Many lathes today use a 3-phase motor with a VFD inverter plugged into single phase 220 or 110v. I personally would try to get a motor fixed rather than deal with making a different one work.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Thanks John,

I was able to knock this apart and that revealed what the problem was. This was so hard stuck that the brass acme threaded insert was actually spinning inside the support when it was turned. For some reason that allowed me to work it on direction, but it would spin in the other.

It had a large burr from someone setting the lock too hard and was gunked up thoroughly.

I deburred, polished the assemblies and oil them and now it works beautifully....amazing what some oil can do. I've noticed on this machine and a Felder mortiser that I bought used that it would seem lubrication of parts is low on the list for some shops.

Thanks for that Info! The bearing on this guy is a bit noisy, and probably should not make any noise. I soaked it in oil, but will likely just replace it.

This machine shows .75kw so it should be 1hp. Appreciate the advice, I will get this one repaired.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.