Thread: Auburn Tool Company Plow Plane

Auburn Tool Company Plow Plane

I've used a Sandusky Tool Company plow plane for some years. I've also had the Veritas small plow for a number of years. Of the two I much prefer the wood stock, I will not go into all the reasons but anyone that has used a good wooden plow will know why. Anyway I'll cut to the chase, a few days ago I had a few minutes to waste and made the mistake of checking some tool sellers sites and came across a beautiful Auburn plow plane from the late 1800s. At first I passed it by but after sleeping on it, I figured what the heck it is only money and damn the plow sure was pretty. Bottom line, I whipped out the AmEx and it arrived yesterday.

Here is a photo of the Sandusky on the left and the Auburn on the right. Both work very well and I expect I'll keep a #4 cutter in one and a #5 in the other most of the time and just use the one with the needed cutter. Did I mention it sure is pretty.

twoPlowPlanes180119dscf2270.jpg

Click it to big it,
    ken

I forgot to add, in the background are a bunch of tools I'm going to try and sell tomorrow. In the wood box on the right is a Stanley 45 with all the cutters that has been taking up shelf space for close to 40 years. It is time for it to go.
    ken

planes.jpg
    Part of an auction table I was at, a few years ago....

Nice set up Ken. Is the Auburn a Rosewood plane? I've only used slide arm planes and really like that set up. Vintage planes tend to lose their irons, and its seemingly hard (and expensive) to find a set with a consistent elliptical curve in the blade so as to have the wedge set it correctly (in my experience). Having a dedicated #4 & #5 will be great. I'm hoping to take possession of a new J.Wilding plow plane here in the coming months. No fettling.....at least on that one....

Congrats. I love the way wooden planes provide valuable feedback as well as my own ability to keep them squared up as I use them for plows and rabbets. Once you add a beading plane and H&R's you'll be putting molding on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Norb Schmidt View Post
    Nice set up Ken. Is the Auburn a Rosewood plane? I've only used slide arm planes and really like that set up. Vintage planes tend to lose their irons, and its seemingly hard (and expensive) to find a set with a consistent elliptical curve in the blade so as to have the wedge set it correctly (in my experience). Having a dedicated #4 & #5 will be great. I'm hoping to take possession of a new J.Wilding plow plane here in the coming months. No fettling.....at least on that one....

Congrats. I love the way wooden planes provide valuable feedback as well as my own ability to keep them squared up as I use them for plows and rabbets. Once you add a beading plane and H&R's you'll be putting molding on everything.
    Norb,

that at is a beautiful plane. Two questions, what is the wait time and which did you order.

ken

Wait time - about a year....Jeremiah is backed up and that (to me) is a good thing for him, so no complaints. I ordered the slide arm with a brass depth stop. He makes all the parts himself - including casting the depth stop. I have a moving fillister (yes I know dedicated rabbet planes are all i need...) and am very happy with the workmanship and plane function. I'll post pictures when I get it in. The only good thing about a long wait list is that it helps with budgeting. Just stick a Benjamin in a can once a month and it doesn't hurt so bad....

Quote Originally Posted by Norb Schmidt View Post
    Wait time - about a year....Jeremiah is backed up and that (to me) is a good thing for him, so no complaints. I ordered the slide arm with a brass depth stop. He makes all the parts himself - including casting the depth stop. I have a moving fillister (yes I know dedicated rabbet planes are all i need...) and am very happy with the workmanship and plane function. I'll post pictures when I get it in. The only good thing about a long wait list is that it helps with budgeting. Just stick a Benjamin in a can once a month and it doesn't hurt so bad....
    Norb,

Thanks, after looking at his web site I may (will) take your advise. What can I say other than I'm a sucker for beautiful tools.

ken