Thread: Need fresh training on Hollow Forms

Need fresh training on Hollow Forms

I have made quite a number of pitchers using hand-held tools. The last one was 1-1/2 years ago. As I get ready to begin again, I would like some fresh instruction on hollow forms. It would be nice to correct whatever I am doing wrong and learn techniques freshly.

Any recommendations of people or videos? I could seek out help from San Diego Wood Turners' members (or presenters if they schedule a hollow-forms demonstrator), Palomar Community College woodworking dept, or Mike Jakovsky, who lives in the same city.

I will be using a Gizmo system for the first time. (I know Mike Jakovsky's specialty is hand-held hollowing.)

Here is a photo of the pitchers I have made so far. Large openings, not too wide. Thank you in advance for your recommendations.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Brian, I am not familiar with videos, though I am sure they are out there. I would just mention that since you are hollowing end grain you will achieve a smoother cut by cutting downhill on the grain. In other words, working your way in with either a drilled starter hole or making one with a gouge and using pull cuts to scoop out material. When you reach the belly of your curved form, you will need to do push cuts on the upper portion of the belly of the pitcher - not the mouth. Hope that makes sense!

You may also want to look at some variations of your form to approach more of an ogee. I may send you an email.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 01-19-2018 at 12:27 PM.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    ... It would be nice to correct whatever I am doing wrong and learn techniques freshly....
    Is there something specific you have trouble with?

I'm not familiar with the gizmo you mention. I don't do a lot of hollowing but when I do it's hand held. After turning the outside I use some small scraper bits and/or some Hunter tools on the inside. The tools and methods depend on the size and what works best at the time.

JKJ

John, there is not something specific. John Keeton's reminder about the direction needed for a downhill cut on the inside is an example of what I mean. Yes, I have done that before but his note brings it to the forefront of my thinking. I just wonder what else I am doing the hard way instead of the right way.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Just keep on doing what you are doing. Suggest making a smaller opening by doing just a little bit at a time to keep your comfort zone. All my hollowing is done with torque arms or hollowing setups, becomes a boring job then.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    John, there is not something specific. John Keeton's reminder about the direction needed for a downhill cut on the inside is an example of what I mean. Yes, I have done that before but his note brings it to the forefront of my thinking. I just wonder what else I am doing the hard way instead of the right way.
    Sounds like a play date with another turner might be helpful!

I always learn something when someone comes to my shop, even if they came to learn something.

All i do is Hollow Forms, unless I blow one up, then i try to turn bowls��.
    I learned by making a few small HF’s using a Rolly Monroe 3/4” cutter head and bar. As i increased the sizes of the hf’s, I found that it takes a loooooong time to hollow by hand. Basically, as the size of HF increases, the tooling needs to increase in size too. The boring bars need to get bigger and i think mechanical assistance is important. Also, measuring wall thickness on LARGE hf’s gets challenging too. There is not a single commercially available caliper for large hf turning.
    I use custom calipers for rough hollowing then i use a Trent Bosch Visualizer for my final thickness turning.
    The one constant for me is the Monroe 3/4 carbide cutter head. I use that in all my bars. Ironically, i have a love/hate relationship with it. I never use the shield that comes with it. Clogs too easy.
    I did purchase the Mike Jakovsky dvd and found it very informative and helpfulwhen i was learning.
    One other note, in my experience with a carbide cutter and a proper rig setup, it makes zero difference if you're turning face-grain or end-grain. Almost all my hf’s i turn face grain.

Cheers