Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walker Turner 20 inch drill press, Model 1100

Quote Originally Posted by joseph mansker View Post
    Fellas....I have an idea that might be a little wacky so I need a sanity check. I found another WT 1100 yesterday for sale nearby.
    thought about taking the head raising gear and rack and adding it to my floor press. Why?...I dunno....cause I can I guess.
    From what I have read the lift gear housing will fit both the table & head.
    Hopefully it will, Since I recently picked up two manual feed WT presses & plan to use both lift assemblies on one machine!
    They both need quite a bit of work including some cast-iron repairs & a really good cleaning, But I'm hoping to make one good unit from the two.

BTW nice find on your power-feed WT!

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Doug. I might just strip the belt cover off the 2nd machine and resell it...but the idea of being able to control both the table and head independently was appealing. I don't have to do much to the press...mostly cosmetic...but am trying to determine if I want to totally strip it down and replace the spindle bearings and the belts. Looks like quite a job to do that. I will most likely wait until I really need to. I have a number of other jobs waiting for me to complete!

Doug,

Those are some nasty arcs of shame you have there!

Quote Originally Posted by joseph mansker View Post
    trying to determine if I want to totally strip it down and replace the spindle bearings and the belts. Looks like quite a job to do that.
    It seems as there was several size bearings used on the 20" WT drill presses?
    http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=2392

I'm also hoping that the bearings in mine are still usable!
    I waiting for warmer weather so I can power wash them before I start to work on them. Being I'm combining two machines I'll be disassembling them both anyways. I've had good luck on other projects just by cleaning & re-greasing the bearings. Sealed or shielded bearings can be harder to clean, But letting them soak in some heated Simple Green for several hours usually works good. As for re-greasing them I use a vacuum pump like shown here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS3lOPVzAUg

Doug

Walker Turner 1100 Drill Press UPDATE

Update on W-T 1100 ..... Guys, I need some advice ..... I am replacing the drive belt on the press and have managed to successfully remove the upper bearing retainer cap. The pictures show progress. The bearing appears to be in good shape, but is totally devoid of grease. Since there is an old oiler cap on the top of the bearing retainer cap, I am assuming the bearing just receives machine oil for lubrication instead of a heavier bearing grease. If anyone has torn down this press, I would appreciate advice on what I am seeing and if I should attempt to drop the quill out for further preventive maintenance such as new bearings at this point? Thanks in advance for the help!
    Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Engineer - noun (en-juh-neer)
    Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.
    See also wizard, magician

I replaced that upper bearing with a sealed one since I do not want oil dripping onto any wood I am drilling. I rally think the quill bearing should be greased as should the splined spindle shaft. I believe the idea was to drip some oil onto the spindle so it moves up/down easily in the pulley. I know I replaced the lower spindle bearing with a single row bearing because of cost/availabilty. A single row bearing should last my lifetime with my occasional use.
    I believe the original was a new departure bearing and they are hard to cross reference to modern bearings.
    Bill D

PS: my spindle was scored because it spun in the lower bearing. I filled in the scoring with jb weld years ago but I just bought a new/used spindle+quill with bad bearings. I can dig into it and find part numbers if you want.