Thread: Makita LS1019L Miter Saw

Makita LS1019L Miter Saw

Hello People, I am looking for feedback on the accuracy of this Makita Saw particularly at 90 degrees but any and all feedback is welcome. My primary concerns are again accuracy, dust collection and a small back to front footprint for a shop saw that will never move. I have researched the Capex, Bosch and this Makita. I just sold my Ridgid MS255SR and am almost giddy with joy I hated that saw so much, 2 years trying to true up cuts. I could start my rant about the saw but it's gone now and I just need to let it go. Thanks in advance

I have owned one for over 7 years. It's the only "good" miter saw I've ever owned so I can't really compare it to anything else. I've been using it to cut passage door stiles to length and if I do my part (pay attention to stock placement and don't tense up and flex the saw out of line) it will cut true 90 degrees in both axis. I've also used it to miter 5.5" wide frames for custom toilet partition panels and doors. Talk about a challenge, in yellow pine no less! It's done the job there also. I don't know if I've ever made a compound cut with it, and seldom lay it over from 90. I have found that I get better results on the right side of the blade vs. the left, and I think the issue is with the fence. I've aligned it several times and while you should be able to align each side independently it seems to favor the right side. Dust collection is mediocre at best. Even with the bag off and a vacuum on the port it sprays dust everywhere. I've never had it set up permanently with a proper hood behind it so I'm sure that could be improved on. I have used one of the "big gulp" hoods with a dust collector placed behind it and that's better than the vacuum hooked up to the bag port. One thing I don't like about it, and the reason I've never given it a permanent station, is the depth it requires. Something like 28" if I remember correctly from fully to the back to the front of the knob. Probably more when fully forward. I seldom turn the laser on and can't comment on it's accuracy. I'm either using it for rough cut to length where I just need to get close to the pencil mark or very fine accuracy where no laser will do. The blade that came with mine is supposedly a miter saw blade and looks like a good one, but it can't compare to the quality of cut I get with a Freud sliding miter saw blade.

I just got a slider with a crosscut fence longer than my shop is wide so I don't expect the Makita will get much more use, much less a permanent home in my shop.

Ted
    which model number have you owned for 7 years? It seems like you are reviewing a completely different saw. Maybe the 1016?

My mistake, sorry about that!

It looks like they took care of the depth issue anyway. Going from two sets of sliding bars to one set should make is stiffer also. If I were in the market for a miter saw I'd give it a shot.

I've used Makita tools since the '80s and have probably owned at least 3 dozen different ones. The only failures I remember are because I flat wore them out.

That saw is not been seen by my local Makita dealer yet.

In design, the table goes back to the completely rotating table design like the xx13 series saws that were so accurate. Looks like they took a few lessons from Festool and moved the rails above the saw. I only sold my 1213 because it took up so much depth and threw dust everywhere. I sold it for more than I paid new to someone that had bought the newer one and was sick of the problems. On a portable stand used outside the problems went away. They went to an upper and lower dust port so that might work well. Makita used to be the only sliders that used linear bearings on both rails for long term accuracy and smoothness.

This new one could be a winner but there have been lots of misses on new tools lately like the 10" Bosch Glide that doesn't move the blade in a perfectly straight line.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 01-19-2018 at 10:05 AM.

There has been a lot of discussion of this saw over on the Festool forum with many current or potential Kapex owners hoping it's a viable alternative to the Kapex. Unfortunately a few early reviews seemed to indicate it may just miss the mark, but it depends on what you need out of a miter saw. I believe Marc Spagnuolo (the Wood Whisperer) tried this one out and was disappointed at some accuracy issues, but I don't think he made a standalone video about it - just buried in some of his other content.

EDIT: Here's a thread:
    http://festoolownersgroup.com/other-...w-mini-review/
    Last edited by Victor Robinson; 01-19-2018 at 10:15 AM.

very interesting thread over on festoolownersgroup, thanks Victor. I need to dig deeper, I'm sure Makita knows where the issue lays now, the question is, did they address it yet.
    Last edited by Jeff Goldsmith; 01-19-2018 at 7:48 PM.

I have been following that saw to replace a 13, like the big table above all others. I did read of an issue of the blade being out of line with the path the saw follows, and a couple of very early production problems. There was a simple fix for the tracking issue if you do not listen to the sky is falling crowd, and Makita made right on all the early issue problems.

The price is right, its cheap enough that I don't have to worry so much abut it disappearing.

The depth is less and the annoying angle change lever on the back is up front now. It does take about three twists to get it loose which seems strainge, but one could easily get used to it.

Although I could not make cuts with the one I played with it does seem more ridgid than the older design.

Did I mention the table is big? that is the big seller for me over most of the others.

Dust collection seems to be on par with Festool, the only reason I ever considered a Festool.

I go play with it every time I go to the dealer. They have sold several with no complaints, but I am fussier than most so have been trolling looking for more information. So far it seems that any issues that come up can be dealt with. I can not ever remember buying a saw that I did not have to tune, really don't know what world some people live in where they expect perfect out of the box.

If you buy one post your impressions, I will probably pick one up after the first of the month and will do the same.

1st and foremost, I need accuracy especially on the 90 degree cuts and not just chopping but sliding as well. Next was a small front to back foot print, I work out a two car garage, and then dust collection. I have no problem squaring the blade to the fence etc. But I don't want to mess with the rail system and blade tracking on a brand new saw. The reviews going into December '17 are too negative regarding the accuracy, I'm bummed because the saw seemed to address all my needs if it was accurate. Now I am of the opinion that the saw isn't ready for prime time. I can't wait a year for Makita to work out the wrinkles and I'm not paying $1,500 for a Capex so I went for the Bosch gcm12sd last night on amazon. It seems like a great saw and I think I can improve the dust collection with a modification I saw on youtube.