Thread: Two recent bowls

Two recent bowls

The first is about 8" or so in diameter and is turned from birch. I was just wanting to play around with some acrylic paints that I had and for a practice piece I'm happy. The second is a 13" bowl from black locust, it was either a root ball or a junction with a lot of branches. I can't quite remember as I've had this piece of wood for almost two years. The copper wire was salvaged from some residential wiring that I had laying around. I had marked up the surface with needle nose pliers so just to make things consistent I textured the rest of the wire with a dremel and while its not very noticeable in the pictures the wire is bent to follow the curve of the bowl.

Love the effort put into pieces like this... especially done with cool results!

how much paint got on the walls and ceiling of your shop?! Or, rather, how did you contain it? I assume you put a dollop of paint on the center of the piece and just turned on the lathe....?

So cool! Especially #1, I love the color work on that. The turning is nice too, but the colors overpower the form for me, which isn't a negative, I think it's beautiful.
    USMC '97-'01

You are doing really good and getting on the turning fringe.
    C&C WELCOME

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Balzonia View Post
    Love the effort put into pieces like this... especially done with cool results!

how much paint got on the walls and ceiling of your shop?! Or, rather, how did you contain it? I assume you put a dollop of paint on the center of the piece and just turned on the lathe....?
    I didn't get any paint on the walls or lathe. I made a shield from a cardboard box that worked quite well. Rather than a dollop of paint in the center I had a three or four inch ring towards the center, it had a ridge and that is where I placed the acrylic paint. It was fun to try, speed and duration of spinning time gave me various results. I definitely want to give this another try.

p118.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Petersen View Post
    So cool! Especially #1, I love the color work on that. The turning is nice too, but the colors overpower the form for me, which isn't a negative, I think it's beautiful.
    Thank you for the compliment. The birch was rather plain and would have otherwise made a rather boring bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Ferguson View Post
    You are doing really good and getting on the turning fringe.
    Thank you Allen. I'm having a lot of fun turning and I'm getting better. No more tool marks, my surfaces are so silky smooth and I'm getting thinner. I'm still learning form and design but that will come in time.

Your pictures aren't showing up to me. I am sure the bowls are quite nice, though.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

I love the painted one. Did you dye the piece black before the paint?
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    I love the painted one. Did you dye the piece black before the paint?
    I normally use black dye (India ink) on pieces that I am coloring because it leaves the tactile feel of wood. For this piece though I wanted the paint to run without any friction from the wood grain so instead of dye I used black lacquer spray paint. It provided a very smooth surface for the acrylic paint to run.