Thread: Your top three “I would like to take a class on that...”

Your top three “I would like to take a class on that...”

As some of you know, I teach woodturning classes at John C Campbell Folk School. My current time slots are a 5 day class and a weekend class in January and a 6 day class in October. The October class on lidded bowls seems to always be popular, but I periodically explore new topics that might be of interest to folks. I must plan my classes a year in advance, so now is the time for me to develop topics for 2019.

Sooo.....what three topics would you think would have broad appeal - particularly those that would be suitable for a 5-6 day class?

Your input would be greatly appreciated!!

Left click my name for homepage link.

So looking forward to the three day class (Ogee Bowls With Bling) coming up at the end of the month. I would be interested in a hollow forms class in the future.

1. Flawless finish cuts through finishing.
    2. Good vessel design. Form, sizing, tasteful details.
    3. All about various grinds, sweeps, rakes, bevels, and hones.

1. Advanced tool control techniques.... sometimes I think I'm pretty good and then I see someone who REALLY knows what they're doing.... whether its folks hogging off 1/2" ribbons or 8" long continuous finishing cuts with not a ripple in sight.... this class would have to include sharpening, tool choice for each cut, custom grinds/tools, etc....

2. Adding design elements.... wood burning, dyeing, texturing, etc...

3. How to get names and addresses of really rich people who like buying woodturning done by me.....

1. Form ogee bowls
    2. Platters
    3. Off center type turnings
    4. Embellishments
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

1. A thousand hints on hollow forms
    2. & 3. What Prashun said
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I have not seen a course on treen offered at JCCS - a grand mixture of honey dippers, coffee scoops, spatulas with turned handles, salad tongs to go with gifted bowls, salt and pepper shakers and a peppermill with both types of grinders fitted. Tool sharpening, tool choice, tool technique can be worked in. How about a stemmed chalice with two captured rings? The more skill you bring to the class, the more you take home, but everyone takes home something. Repairing mistakes and prepping wormy, punky stock for safe hollowing would be another choice. Embellishment with stone, shell, or bone ornamentation as well as coloring effects would be well received.
    Last edited by Neil McWilliams; 01-18-2018 at 10:37 PM.

I like all of the above suggestions!

Some great ideas and keep them coming! One thing I need to consider is sourcing the wood for the class. The Folk School can get green wood in log form, but the only dry wood available is poplar and the max thickness is 8/4. Other than just bowls, most other topics require dry wood. I can source some domestics, but even then finding dry wood in excess of 12/4 is very difficult.

One of the topics I have taught a couple of times in the past was a suspended hollow form (pedestal and finial) and it was done as a two piece so that the students could take home the technique without having to have hollowing tools. It was a popular class, and we covered various embellishments. The emphasis of the course was form, proportions, lift, flow, etc., so it was a challenging class, but I was amazed at how well the students did. Perhaps bringing that one back is a possibility as it covers many of the things that are being mentioned.

I also need to consider the other classes taught throughout the year and not do something that is too much like what is being taught by others.

I really appreciate the input and I look forward to hearing more ideas!

Left click my name for homepage link.

Multiple day spindle work, skew, gouge, gouge shaping (fingernail vs. other), design issues. Hands on with critique of technique/results.
    Serious hollow form, tools, systems, force considerations, design.

This is a good idea John, keep us posted.

For me, it would be.
    1.advanced cuts, tool use.
    2. Form and layout of ornate design on the side of hollow form or bowl.
    3.finishing and dying techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I also need to consider the other classes taught throughout the year and not do something that is too much like what is being taught by others.
    John, I can't give you much input on subjects as I can't afford to go to any classes anywhere so any topic would be good for me. Don't limit yourself by not teaching something someone else has taught at a different time of the year. A potential student may want to see it taught by you because maybe their vacation or other scheduling conflict won't allow them to come when it's offered by the other instructor. But, maybe it fits their schedule when you teach the class.

Ricc

1. Texture, Spiral, and chatter tooling...
    2. The correlation between flute shape, grind angles, and what you get out of them