Thread: Router table top

Router table top

I am building a decent router table for large and small projects about 28" deep to 32" wide using 3/4 birch and such and got everything except on what to cover the birch with. I was wondering will plexi glass work or should I spend a little more and get formica. The plexi glas I can get at the same thickness as my aluminum router plate so basically I just need to cut the opening in the 3 layers of 3/4" birch just to fit the router or get the formica and do the standard diy opening for fitting the router plate. Im thinking using carpet tape and counter sink screws on the plexiglass and if going the formica way contact cement.

I built mine out of birch ply with mdf underneath and used formica on the top. I would think that plexiglass would scratch severely after awhile making it too resistant for pushing material across the top.

Mine has formica on the top.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Cool thank for the replies and formica it is

Curious, yesterday I received my Formica sheet for said project.
    I looked all over for the best deal (I'm very cheap) and HD fit bill.
    They have a good selection of colors and the 30" x 96" sheet was only $33 with FREE shipping.
    Redheads are like other women – only more so

Quote Originally Posted by marlin adams View Post
    Cool thank for the replies and formica it is
    Marlin, sometimes Lowes will have a damaged 4'x8' sheet of formica, you can ask for a discount and they will most likely give you one. A sheet comes in handy for all sorts of uses and jigs.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Brad Schmidt View Post
    Curious, yesterday I received my Formica sheet for said project.
    I looked all over for the best deal (I'm very cheap) and HD fit bill.
    They have a good selection of colors and the 30" x 96" sheet was only $33 with FREE shipping.
    I found that yesterday So on the 3rd of next month doing ship to store.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Commarato View Post
    Marlin, sometimes Lowes will have a damaged 4'x8' sheet of formica, you can ask for a discount and they will most likely give you one. A sheet comes in handy for all sorts of uses and jigs.
    My neighbor mention that to but my local Lowes didnt have any at the time.

Alright i got my roll of formica, got my t-tracks but still kicking around the ideal of using t-tracks for my router fence or end clamps. The base I am going to use a 55 gallon steel drum since I am limited on storage on my tools (I work from my deck) and going to make the router top detachable to where I can store it inside my shed. My top will be 24x32 size. The fence will be made out of some type of hardwood with adjustable faces. Now I am planning on making the top setup where it will be easy for me to beable to adjust the router up and down manually and also provide support to the top it self.

Now the plywood I got is the 3/4" sanded plywood not birch and it is smooth on both sides it is flat and everything but just wondering if I should go with birch plywood. I am planning on doing 3 layers and 1/4" pinewood as banding material around the sides.

Waiting on good weather again to work on deck, alot of rain so far.