Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on JP combo vs separate tools

I'm also a happy A3-41 owner. I bought it because of value per inch of both jointer and planer. I have the Silent Power head, extensions, digital wheel and caster set. Changeover is minimal since the first thing I did was make a $10 gizmo that chucks in a spare drill and clips onto the raising/lowering wheel to quickly get it to within a few cranks. The digital gauge is very accurate. The machine is much quieter than my old jointer and planer.

Here's a link to the gizmo if anyone is interested. PM me if you'd like the simple dxf file.

I bought a Jet JJP-12HH. I had some issues with it early on but now I am very pleased. I bought this machine because I needed a 12 inch jointer but I didn't need to flatten really long boards. I already had a lunchbox planer that worked well for my purposes but the 3 HP planer is certainly a lot faster. I am soon moving into a larger shop so separate machines would be possible but I don't feel that they are worth it for the type of work I do.

I originally was looking at a 5 function combo (but wouldn't have gotten the mortiser) and decided it made more sense to split it into two, a jointer/planer and saw/shaper. That was partially due to my shop being rather narrow and needing to put the machines against a wall with one aisle down the middle rather than in the middle and eat up space with an aisle on each side. Overall I don't think you save that much space, or much money, by combining all of them into one. The saw/shaper stays set up (duh) and the jointer/planer only comes out when I need it, which is about 3 days at a time every two weeks. That frees up a lot of space for other equipment that's in use the rest of the time.

Neat gizmo Mick. What kind of grease do you use on the planer table column and/or threaded shaft for raising it? Mine needs it and from what I remember the manual says "regular machine grease". What the heck is that? TIA

I have a Minimax J/P fs 41es, their top of the line unit. I thought that getting the combo unit would be a great space saver!... Unfortunately, my work style didnt flow well... UP / DOWN / UP / DOWN goes the main table, then you have to raise and lower the bottom table...

Don't get me wrong, the unit is awesome, but the change over if you need to move between the units often is not workable. I ended up buying a Felder dedicated planer and am very happy again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Derryberry View Post
    I originally was looking at a 5 function combo (but wouldn't have gotten the mortiser) and decided it made more sense to split it into two, a jointer/planer and saw/shaper.
    Similar here; I couldn't do a full five function combo in my shop due to space arrangement, but also preferred the idea of the slider paired with the J/P so it was easy to bounce back and forth between them. (I didn't opt for the shaper option, but I somewhat regret that now) My J/P is in thickening mode 90% of the time as I flatten lumber for a project all at once the majority of the time (unless I have a premature senior moment and forget something or miscalculate) so any milling is for thickness after that. I don't edge joint at all...straight-lining on the slider eliminates that need once the material is flat and to thickness.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Zimmerman View Post
    Shop size will be 40 x 55' with a mezzanine. Comfortable if not spacious for a 1-man operation.
    Separates, without question, if it were me in a space that size. Big ones.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Similar here; I couldn't do a full five function combo in my shop due to space arrangement, but also preferred the idea of the slider paired with the J/P so it was easy to bounce back and forth between them. (I didn't opt for the shaper option, but I somewhat regret that now) My J/P is in thickening mode 90% of the time as I flatten lumber for a project all at once the majority of the time (unless I have a premature senior moment and forget something or miscalculate) so any milling is for thickness after that. I don't edge joint at all...straight-lining on the slider eliminates that need once the material is flat and to thickness.
    What blade are you using for your straight line rips? I've been doing the same thing but am getting some splintering in yellow pine with the Felder 250mm 16 tooth blade. A couple of passes through the planer on edge takes care it, but I'd prefer a better cut to start with. I have a 250mm 40 tooth combination blade and thought I'd try that on the next production run. TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Similar here; I couldn't do a full five function combo in my shop due to space arrangement, but also preferred the idea of the slider paired with the J/P so it was easy to bounce back and forth between them.
    I did the 4-in-1, but wish I'd had gone separate S/S and J/P. The inconvenience of J/P switchover and S/S is minor, but switching between planing and sawing, for instance, is a bit more annoying than would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Derryberry View Post
    What blade are you using for your straight line rips? I've been doing the same thing but am getting some splintering in yellow pine with the Felder 250mm 16 tooth blade. A couple of passes through the planer on edge takes care it, but I'd prefer a better cut to start with. I have a 250mm 40 tooth combination blade and thought I'd try that on the next production run. TIA
    I pretty much only use Forrest WW-II blades; recently switched from my old 10" 40T to new 12" 48 T. I rarely get any splintering. I do have a 10" 20T ripping version for really thick stuff, but obviously, that's going to need to be cleaned up afterward.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Separates, without question, if it were me in a space that size. Big ones.

John
    For a shop that size (40' x 50'), separate is the best choice. Here below would be my preference for Euro machines

1. All separate
    2. J/P combo, saw, shaper
    3. J/P combo, saw/shaper combo
    4. Full combo

James

Blog Entries
    Real happy with an FS41 Elite S. I don’t have room for huge machines but I do very much like quality. Fair warning in that you will quickly get on board with the full suite, so don’t do it unless you can also afford a shaper, sliding table saw, bandsaw, mortising machine and probably something I’ve forgotten.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by James Zhu View Post
    For a shop that size (40' x 50'), separate is the best choice. Here below would be my preference for Euro machines

1. All separate
    2. J/P combo, saw, shaper
    3. J/P combo, saw/shaper combo
    4. Full combo

James

+1

You have plenty of room for separates. Depending upon your budget, at the very least I'd go for option 3. That's what I have.

I went for Grizzly separates and I'll ultimately end up trading them for a A3-31/41. BUT, the reasons I'll be changing are a terribly cramped shop space and noise concerns. Yes, the A3 will be a nicer machine in terms of fit and finish, but I wouldn't sacrifice the flexibility and convenience of separates just for that, even if my separates are lower on the quality scale.

If I had a shop space as large or open as the one in question I would definitely be happy going separates. In other words, if I suddenly had the opportunity to move my shop into a large space, I wouldn't feel the need to change out my separates at all.

I have a PM-66 table saw so that part is set for now as well as a drill press. The jointer and planer were the next on the list as well as a bandsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Mazuronis View Post
    +1

You have plenty of room for separates. Depending upon your budget, at the very least I'd go for option 3. That's what I have.
    Option 2 is most likely