Thread: powermatic 66 raise and lower

powermatic 66 raise and lower

Im rebuilding my new (to me) 85 powermatic 66 TS. I was having a very difficult time raising and lowering the blade. After removing the table top I found this hole filled with a screw that was clamped down very tight. The shaft that it was screwed onto does not turn easily in it housing. My question is, should this screw be tight like it was or should this assembly turn within the shaft? What is the screw for? Should the shaft turn more freely within it's houseing? Screw hole marked with red arrow. Housing marked in purple scribbles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That screw is supposed to be tight so the shaft turns only in the outer holes. There is a flat spot on the shaft that the set screw is supposed to sit in. Look in the hole and find the flat spot and try to find the marks that the set screw should have left when the saw was new. May or may not be able to find it but that casting is the one that the arbor sits in and shifting the whole thing on the shaft will determine where the blade runs in relation to your blade slot. The shaft also needs to have the snap ring on one end and the 1-1/8 nut on the other and be tight enough that there is no movement side to side but not so tight that it will not turn freely when you raise/lower the blade. Download the manual from the net and you will see how it all goes together. Lube both ends of the shaft with what ever you think will penetrate enough to free it up.

Also lube up the gear with grease and hose something in where the shaft turns for that gear. I just had to yank a motor out of a 66 at work and used the opportunity to shoot/smear lubricant wherever I could.

After looking at your picture again, the dirt ring on the shaft looks like the casting may have slid over a bit. This will not only affect where your blade sits but will have an effect on where the raise/lower gears mesh. May not be enough to matter but I would sure try to get the set screw back in the original spot.

I got it all figured out. Yes, that was a set screw. I pulled the trunnions out of the cabinet and found out that my pivot shaft for height adjustment was pretty well seized. I pulled the snap ring and pounded the thing out of it's mounting area. Polished the shaft and the holes and lubed everything with paste wax. Spins like a dream now! Cleaned, polished and waxed all metal on metal junctions. I got it all reinstalled and it's working WAY better now. Silky Smoooove

Thanks all!