Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable Signal Leakage

Cable Signal Leakage

I found a note hanging on my front door today from Spectrum (Cable provider) stating that they have determined that there is cable signal leakage occurring in my residence. This leakage could cause interference with radio communication for emergency services and AIRCRAFT. It needs to be fixed or they can reduce my level of service of shut off my cable service.

Anyone ever hear of this? I hate these people cause all they want to do is steal more money from people and provide poorer service.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Never heard of this before. Might be a scam??? Maybe not really from Spectrum???

Blog Entries
    I would suggest calling Spectrum and asking them if they left the note. If they did get an explanation of the problem. I suspect that it is a scam and that someone may show up asking for access to your home to case the joint. I would ask for a photo ID before I let anyone in the house.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Before responding my first thought was to check with Dr. Google.

You may want to look at this page:

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...signal-leakage

Then you may want to call your cable service provider with what you know to be a legitimate number as opposed to what is left on the note on your door. Unless of course the number left on your door matches a number you already have for you provider.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yea, don't call the number on the door knocker...too many scams and other nefarious things are going on these days, so you don't want to just let anyone into your home. Call the company direct from a known number (like the service number on your bill) and discuss.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I checked and the number provided was the normal number I would call for any cable related issues like no service or a bill issue, etc.

EDIT: I did call the number I knew was correct and scheduled the service.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 01-18-2018 at 7:06 AM.
    George

About 25 years or so ago, a cable tech stopped by my parents house, saying that there was cable signal leakage. After a fairly quick inspection, he found a place where the cable was stapled to a floor joist too tightly, compressing the cable, which changes the properties of the shielding and causes it to radiate signal. A loose fitting can also do this.

I wouldn't trust that guy just because the phone number was correct (easily found online), but I'd call and schedule the service.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

The cable company can test the line and find an issue with a shorted cable, so for example, finding an issue like a staple in a wire would be detectable, so would other cable impedance problems. I just question the idea this would "cause interference with radio communication for emergency services and AIRCRAFT". I think it would more likely be a poor signal for your own TV or internet connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    The cable company can test the line and find an issue with a shorted cable, so for example, finding an issue like a staple in a wire would be detectable, so would other cable impedance problems. I just question the idea this would "cause interference with radio communication for emergency services and AIRCRAFT". I think it would more likely be a poor signal for your own TV or internet connection.
    I am having no issues with picture, sound or internet. If the signal loss doesn't cause them any issue then why would they stop my cable service if it is not corrected?
    George

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I am having no issues with picture, sound or internet. If the signal loss doesn't cause them any issue then why would they stop my cable service if it is not corrected?
    Hi, I work for a telecommunications company in Canada.

Spurious signal emissions are a reason for a company to lose it's license from the regulator, then they're out of business.

In the cable business the standard joke is that you can fix 99% of your leakages with a 7/16" wrench. (Used to tighten the connectors).

I see no reason why it would be different in the USA...............Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Wow, timely post!!! Just yesterday Comcast came out and replaced my pole to house cable because they identified "leakage". They notified me by email first, but I never read the message until after my service was restored. I lost all TV and internet service, and called them. Tech came in the house to check levels, then climbed the pole across the street to check the tap, then the pole on my side of the street where it goes down and then underground to my house. That underground wire has been replaced several times over the years. Last time, about 4 years ago, they upped it to an RG11 from the previous RG 6. But they only bury it an inch or so under the grass, and if they encounter a surface root, they go over it. Once the ground thaws in the spring, I am going to put in a 3/4" conduit with sweeps at each end to protect it and make it easier to replace it, if that is ever needed, chopping through roots as needed. Tech said it was a good idea and was OK with it. Once done I asked if he needed to come in the house to verify levels, he said no, the new X1 cable box is as sophisticated as their fancy test meters. They gave me three days of credit for the one day I was out, partly because of a screw up in scheduling the wrong tech. But within a half hour of the original 2 hour repair window, they rescheduled the right tech to fix the issue.

And at no charge, they recently upped my internet from 75 to 100 mbps. Speedtest now shows a very consistent 120/12 speed over WiFi, I would do no better if I hooked up my LAN cable. Other than the outrageous rates, I am a happy customer. Internet, home security, one X1 cable box, one converter box and a full lineup of HD TV channels (no premium channels) for $165 per month. And I can stream Netflix at 4k, no problem.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 01-18-2018 at 9:10 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    And at no charge, they recently upped my internet from 75 to 100 mbps. Speedtest now shows a very consistent 120/12 speed over WiFi
    Wow, that's lucky. We pay through the teeth here for 60/5 wired, and gifts are unheard of (Spectrum).

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post

Signal loss from the cable means that it's being transmitted over the air. They pinpointed your house by driving by with a detector (RF receiver of some sort).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Signal loss from the cable means that it's being transmitted over the air. They pinpointed your house by driving by with a detector (RF receiver of some sort).
    Or by impedance testing the cable from the nearest outside junction box

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    Wow, that's lucky. We pay through the teeth here for 60/5 wired, and gifts are unheard of (Spectrum).
    I get plenty of gifts from Spectrum. They just eliminated analog and gifted me with an extra bill for $35/month!

Now I get the same networks on 3 different channels instead of just 1.