Thread: Other uses for idler motor of phase converter

Other uses for idler motor of phase converter

I can't find this questions asked anywhere so I'll pose it here. I'm a complete newbie to rotary phase conversion. I see all these motors running to convert single phase power for people which is great. Are you able to use the idler motor for other things as well? For instance, while it converts phases for me could it also be used as my blower for my dust collector? or possibly be the motor for my air compressor or something like that? I'm assuming this may put too much load on the motor if it's running double duty like this (phase converter idler motor as well as dust collector motor).

AFAIK, the motor used for a rotary phase converter is a dedicated device. They are also usually far larger (HP wise and physically) than you would typically use them for many machines.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The ideler is free spinning, no load, and acts as a generator for the 3rd leg/hot in a 3ph setup. Mine is a purpose made Baldor 20hp ideler with no shaft.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Thanks for the responses. I understand that generally they aren't dual usage. I guess my question would be, is there any harm done to the system if I put a fan or something on the shaft while it hums out providing me with 3 phase power?

I have heard that people will use several motors together but only turn on as many as needed to supply the power needed. A disk sander is often mentioned since it makes a good idler with only one moving part and no load if not being used..
    But it could be used with some complicated switching as a sander if another motor is used as an idler.
    Bill D.

There would also be sound considerations...these big motors used for rotary phase are not silent...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There would also be sound considerations...these big motors used for rotary phase are not silent...
    Because they are not actually running on all 3 legs.

Phase Perfect units are not quiet either. I moved from rotary to PP and dunno which is worse, the hum of the motor or the buzzz of the PP.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Spotorno View Post
    Phase Perfect units are not quiet either. I moved from rotary to PP and dunno which is worse, the hum of the motor or the buzzz of the PP.
    So outside installation of the Phase Perfect is a good idea, IYHO?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    So outside installation of the Phase Perfect is a good idea, IYHO?
    TBH, dunno if they have outside cases for that device... It has 2 rather loud fans at the top of the unit that go on and off as the unit heats up, well even if the unit is idle they go on and off.

Additionally, considering it will be about 5x more expensive than a rotary, and has a significantly more advanced electronics module might make me hesitate on moving it outside in the elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Spotorno View Post
    TBH, dunno if they have outside cases for that device... It has 2 rather loud fans at the top of the unit that go on and off as the unit heats up, well even if the unit is idle they go on and off.

Additionally, considering it will be about 5x more expensive than a rotary, and has a significantly more advanced electronics module might make me hesitate on moving it outside in the elements.
    They do make outside enclosures for it with inside on/off switches. But I do live in the lightning capital of the US, so mixed feelings.

Don’t want the extra noise indoors, though.

I don't think anyone really answered the question. I was also wondering if the pony motor could be put to work....?