Thread: English Springer Spaniel carving

English Springer Spaniel carving

Eng Spring TH9 red.jpgEng Spring TH8 red.jpgEng Spring TH7 red.jpg
    This is my latest completed carving. This dog's owner already had one of my carvings. The other carving is of a larger dog. Since he wants to display them together I had to make sure that I used the same scale for both which yields a smaller completed piece in this case. This is a similar pose to the Brittany Spaniel carving though in this case the subject's head is tilted up a bit. This is the way most smaller dogs including my own live their lives...mostly looking up. This piece is 6"L x 2.5"W x 5"T. The easiest pose to carve for animal pieces at least IMO is facing forward. However that pose does not yield a particularly interesting piece. Next to that a full 90* head turn is easiest. Any turn less than 90* is more difficult and any of them with floppy ears is even more difficult. I don't use many patterns any longer in my carving though I can build my own pattern sets. Frankly at some point you have to start to trust your hands and your minds eye. Hope you like her.

Eng Spring TH4 red.jpgEng Spring TH3 red.jpgEng Spring TH1 red.jpgEng Spring TH2 red.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks really nice. I like the texturing.