Thread: european walnut

european walnut

I recently picked up a large pile of off-cuts from the local hardwood source, and it turns out some of it is european walnut. It has been milling up beautifully, really pretty stuff. I've never worked with this before, can I treat it the same as black walnut?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Given the absence of other advice, check if they are the same species. If so, treat them the same and see what happens. If not, use your best guess as to what might happen and keep notes on you observations for future reference. Cheers

Blog Entries
    You might want to read about it here: European Walnut
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks for the link. I’d been there before and wasn’t sure on some specifics. The piece I made with the euro walnut went together well. All the stock machined beautifully and sanded as I expected. I’m going with the same finished I used on black walnut and all is coming out well so far.

Blog Entries
    That should work fine they are closely related species.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Indeed, the oil finish I used went on beautifully. I’m quite happy with this material, I wish I had more. It’s prettier than black walnut I dare say.