Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sink Cabinet

Thanks for all the great replies. Can't cut the stile it's at my daughters house and don't want to turn it into a project. Looks like we could start a long discussion on frameless verses framed. I'll try and remember to let you know how I made out. Probably won't a chance to do it until Tuesday though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    This won't help you squeeze into the space but it might help take the strain off your back while you're in there. I've used a 40 or 50 pound bag of dog food to lay on while under a sink or vanity cabinet "shims" my fat butt up to the level of the cabinet bottom and saves my back.
    That would be expensive...I'd have to get a dog to go with the dog food. LOL (but yea, that's a good idea)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Remodel the lower cabinet? Our sink has two doors under it. I can get down on the floor and do anything I need to do.

Question What about wall mount faucet?

My parents have one in their home. There are several different models available here - I guess it can be easily found also in the USA.

Torneira.jpg

Regards,
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 01-18-2018 at 1:16 PM. Reason: Typo... as usual!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That would be expensive...I'd have to get a dog to go with the dog food. LOL (but yea, that's a good idea)
    If it's at your daughter's house, you can just leave the food and the dog. Problem solved. ...All the joys, and none of the responsibilities!

I don't think I've ever owned a house where there was a center stile. We don't on the current kitchen cabinet, nor on the cabinets in the bathrooms. If I ever saw one, I'd just modify the cabinet to take it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    If it's at your daughter's house, you can just leave the food and the dog. Problem solved. ...All the joys, and none of the responsibilities!
    Except that both of my daughters live here at home. The older has a Flemish Giant Rabbit (with three legs and pretty much near end-of-life) and those food bags are a lot smaller than dog food. Same for our Birds...small containers. I guess I'll just have to use some pillow should I need wallow under the sink someday. LOL
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    I don't think I've ever owned a house where there was a center stile. We don't on the current kitchen cabinet, nor on the cabinets in the bathrooms. If I ever saw one, I'd just modify the cabinet to take it out.
    The original sink cabinet in this house when we moved in had the evil center stile...and it was blue. And was supporting an orange laminate counter top. Yikes!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post
    My parents have one in their home. There are several different models available here - I guess it can be easily found also in the USA.

Torneira.jpg

Regards,
    This design is totally the better way to go, just not that common in the US. Kitchens here are often built with the sink being centered on an exterior window so plumbing comes up through the floor to avoid frozen pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    This design is totally the better way to go, just not that common in the US. Kitchens here are often built with the sink being centered on an exterior window so plumbing comes up through the floor to avoid frozen pipes.
    That's similar to one I had in the old house that was built in the mid-20s. The pipes came through the backsplash instead of through the sink. Granted, we don't have a freeze here so it didn't really matter, but when I had to replace the faucet, choices were extremely limited and I had to go to a specialty plumber to get parts that weren't available at big box stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I put double doors with no center stile which absolutely makes for easier access.
    Do you have a gap between the doors or overlappng doors ? I've got cabinet doors to do and I'm undecided.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Do you have a gap between the doors or overlappng doors ? I've got cabinet doors to do and I'm undecided.
    None of mine have a gap or overlap, they just meet in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    A gap, but it's only about 1/16" with the expected seasonal movement. It's dark inside the cabinet so nothing shows anyway. All my doors are inset, so nothing overlaps anything.
    --

Interesting.

Although the one we have in our home also is mounted thought the sink, there are a lot of models available like that one I posted and they are very common here. I will use one of them in a projected new home in few years as they are much more convenient than the model we have currently at home...

Of course we do not have frozen weather temperature there under the tropics!

There are a lot of jurisdictions that "frown" on wall mounted fixtures if they are on an outside wall as they commonly would be in a kitchen. It can potentially make cut-offs proximal to the sink more challenging.
    --