Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STANLEY 45 or 55? your preference?

STANLEY 45 or 55? your preference?

Have opportunity to buy a Stanley #45 combination plane set with cutters, cutter boxes and master box ...Appears very good condition but have not physically seen yet.My question is which is the better of the 2 Stanley comb plane offerings (45 or 55)? Should I hold off and later look for a #55 or pursue this offering?
    In your opinion, which of the 2 do you prefer and advantages/disadvantages of each? I realize the #55 was the "improved" version with more planing possibilities and advantages. Is that marketing hype or genuine?
    I'll hold off on my decision till I hear your input/comments....Thanks in advance...
    Jerry

I own but haven't had occasion to use a 55; it's way more complex than a 45, and seems to call for more skill in use. I'd go for the 45.

I have a 55, I've used the 45, and I have the Veritas Combo which is basically an updated 45 with similar capabilities.

The single most important difference between the 45 and 55 is that the 55's second skate is adjustable in height as well as width, and that allows you to make cuts that aren't the same depth on the left and right edges or where the center is deeper than either edge. Hollows, rounds, and most complex profiles fit into that category. This is probably easiest to see by looking at some of the figures in the 55's manual. Some examples:

• Figures 5, 6, and 7 on p. 5 (square, beading, and fluting cutters) have both skates at the same height and show irons that work with both the 45 and 55.
    • Figures 8 and 9 on p. 5 (round and ogee cutters) have the skates at different heights, and show cuts that are only possible with the 55 (or using fairly advanced hacks with the 45). Figure 9 also shows the 55's third/auxiliary C-skate in use.
    • Figure 26 on p. 11 (beading) has both skates at the same height and works on both planes.
    • Figure 52 on p. 16 (hollow) and figures 63-68 on p. 17 (a bunch of complex profiles) have the skates at different heights, and only work with the 55.

The 55 also has tilting fences that allow it to cut at an angle as shown in figures 41 and 45.

The tradeoff is that the 55 is a rather finicky plane to set up. In particular if you want to make simple cuts with it that would work "out of the box" with the 45, then you have to remember to set the fence perfectly parallel to the iron and to set the second skate at the same depth as the main skate. Getting either of those wrong can cause the plane to bind or produce "unexpected" results. There are also a lot more parts to keep track of and attach/remove as needed.

It seems to me that a lot of the people around here who have 55s also (like me) have 45-class planes, which should tell you something important about the 55's usability for simple work.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 01-16-2018 at 10:23 PM.

I use the 45...a lot. Get the 45 now...bide your time until a 55 comes along.....for about the same deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Have opportunity to buy a Stanley #45 combination plane set with cutters, cutter boxes and master box ...Appears very good condition but have not physically seen yet.My question is which is the better of the 2 Stanley comb plane offerings (45 or 55)? Should I hold off and later look for a #55 or pursue this offering?
    In your opinion, which of the 2 do you prefer and advantages/disadvantages of each? I realize the #55 was the "improved" version with more planing possibilities and advantages. Is that marketing hype or genuine?
    I'll hold off on my decision till I hear your input/comments....Thanks in advance...
    The question is, Jerry, what would you want to use the plane to do? That will influence any advice. It is possible that neither plane may be suitable.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    The question is, Jerry, what would you want to use the plane to do? That will influence any advice. It is possible that neither plane may be suitable.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Ain't that the truth.

If you just want a plow plane there are simpler metal plows from either LV or LN that will work better and I expect are close to the same price. If you want a really good plow find a wood stock plow from before the turn of last century or if you have unlimited funds, IIRC, a friend of Derek's makes a beautiful one.

ken

Blog Entries
    I don't know why I'm responding to this string. I don't have either plane, I always wanted one, but never able to find one.
    I resorted to a Veritas small plow plane with all of the cutters they offer.

It does a nice job within the capabilities of the cutters.

Derek and Ken: Always wanted one mainly for all the "other" things it can do: beading, match, slitting etc..New avenue for me...Haven't tried yet but looking forward to the new adventure/possibilities..As is often said here "Its a slippery slope" and leads to temptations such as this..thanks
    Jerry

Summary

Sounding like the 45 is easier and simpler to use while the 55 can do more but requires complex set ups.. Am I right? Thanks for your many suggestions..I plan to pull the trigger by Friday and will continue to read this thread...Appreciate your timely advice.Thnx
    Jerry

The 45 is easier..after all, I learned how to use it.....anyone can.

Blog Entries
    Some will say learning to use the #45 is a prerequisite to using the #55. There is one #55 in my shop and four #45s that get used.

For most things one of the #45s is used. Recently a #50 was purchased. It is set up to do the 1/4" plow work like box and drawer bottoms.

For all but the complex shapes the #55 stays on the shelf. It is a bit fussier than the #45 to get working.

My advice is to purchase the #45 being offered if it is at a good price.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My life is already too complicated to handle a #55...

TedP

Blog Entries
    I have a 44, 45 & 2 50s. For a plough, the 44 is my favorite. One 50 is pre-set as a beader and the other really isn't used. I'm afraid to say that the 45 was free (to me) is original in original box and other than playing with a little, it remains there. I need to dig it out and play with it a little. Always thought that if I wanted to go with a bit bigger plough, I'd put the other 50 to work. May re-think that.

I haven't ever used a 55, but I don't think I would enjoy it - the simpler the better in my opinion.

Thanks to your good advice, I bought the Stanley 45 set today....Thanks again.
    Jerry