Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: dovetail saw

dovetail saw

So I know there are other threads on dovetail saws, but this might be a slightly more specific question. I intended to buy a Veritas standard dovetail saw but woodcraft was sold out so I figured no big deal I will wait a bit. But they are still sold out, so I looked online and nothing on amazon, woodcraft website sold out, highland work working sold out, I even placed an order for some other stuff from LV but they were also sold out of this.

In general the wait is no big deal, but my wife is out of town next week so I will get some after work shop time that I usually don't get and have and would like to include some dove tail cutting (this can be done with my current rip carcus but it would be nice to have a dt saw for it). Here is where the question comes in, the LN saw is available but nearly double the price. If it is a significantly better saw it might be worth the difference for me since I can have it when I want it and also have a better tool. If it is not significantly better I will wait.

I guess maybe I should pose the question like this. LV is $70 when ever it is back in stock at woodcraft, LN is $125 plus whatever the shipping is so lets say $135 or a $65 difference. If it is a $65 better saw it would be worth it to me to get a better tool now than a lesser tool later. If it is either the same or only a little better it is not.

So to make it simple I will place a $25 premium on getting it this week, effectively discounting the LN saw. If you could get the LV saw for $70 or the LN saw for $110 which would you get?

Looks like lee valley has the saw in stock for $74 and woodcraft web site has a ship date of January 18.

The Veritas dovetail saw is in a price range of its own. There is nothing to compare with it (other than Japanese saws, such as the Z-saw) at this price. The LN is an excellent saw, albeit at a much higher price, but then all similar saws will cost in that particular range. If you do start looking for alternative, expect to pay more than the Veritas. Gramercy and Bad Axe should go on that list.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 01-16-2018 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Bloody iPad

4. I don't have a Veritas DT saw but do have the LN. It's an excellent saw. I love mine. I also have some Badaxe dovetail saws which are also great but I don't notice a functional benefit over my LN. I'd be very surprised if you had any regrets getting the LN.

In terms of value the question is too personal and is completely subjective, not objective. Someone with a large budget may pay $500 for a 5% improvement or slightly preferable asthetics whilst another may baulk at $5. I would definitely buy the LN over the Veritas, even for looks alone. But only you can decide for yourself.

I have the Veritas and like it. Super value.
    I have tested the LN. If you have the extra money, you won't regret buying the LN. If you don't, the Veritas is a nice tool at a good price.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by justin sherriff View Post
    Looks like lee valley has the saw in stock for $74 and woodcraft web site has a ship date of January 18.
    Well darn, when I finalized my other LV order last night it showed out of stock until mid February, now it is in stock again. Woodcraft date had also been much further out before. Looks like it it cost me more shipping than last night, but still very workable.

Personally I think the LN saw is hands down the best value out there for a high end dovetail saw. It can cut a laser straight tight kerf in a hurry, and feels like an extension of your wrist. I’d be highly surprised to find that you later came to regret the purchase.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Brandon, I have both the Veritas and LN dovetail saws. I have the Veritas 20tpi which I use for thinner stock (1/2” or less”). The LN at 16tpi (IIRC), is obviously a bit more agressive, and I use it for thicker stock, or when I feel confident with a faster cut. Both are the same thickness (.020”), feel good in my hand, and perform well. I don’t think you can go wrong with either of these.

And to be perfectly noncommittal, I also have a japanese pull saw that I will use with one of those magnetic dovetail jigs from time to time.
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 01-16-2018 at 10:54 PM.

I have several LV dovetail saws and some LN dovetail saws. The both work fine but I prefer the LN dovetail saws. It doesn't make better dovetails but I just prefer it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Call LV if you want to add the saw to your order they probably can accommodate and save you some on shipping.

I’ve got a LV that I’ve used twice. I’ve upgraded to a Rob Cosman and am much happier. I’d let the LV go for a good price...let me know...

Highland Woodworking sells both as well.
    War Eagle!

I've got the LV models, both rip and crosscut. The crosscut saw is a bit of a grabby thing. It doesn't start cutting easily and tends to take too big of a bite for my liking. I find that I need to adjust my technique in order to make it cut the way I expect it should. I'm hoping with more 'training' it will become a favorite tool for me but right now its not. I'm looking for a simple way to tame it down a bit.

I have the same impressions about the LV saw that the previous poster stated.

I have nothing to compare to other than a Japanese dozuki, which, every time I use it, I wonder why I just don't stick with it?

At some point I'm going to try a dozuki rip saw.

You could relax the rake angle a few degrees, that will help with the grabbiness. Also check that it isn't over-set; I use a small anvil and light taps with a smooth, slightly convex faced hammer to remove set. Alternatively you could take a swipe down the side of the teeth with a hard arkansas stone to remove a bit of set if necessary. Just be careful n ot to remove too much or the saw will bind.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---