Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We Cut the Cord Today

Wasn't it WPVI that used to run Captain Noah & His Magic Ark in the 1970s? Completely forgot about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Wasn't it WPVI that used to run Captain Noah & His Magic Ark in the 1970s? Completely forgot about that.
    That was one of the ground breaking shows that originated in this area.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The lyrics really make it.

Blog Entries
    We have Xfinity phone, TV, and on line computer service. It is superior to what we had before.

I had installed a decent antenna in the attic above the garage last summer in anticipation of cutting the cord. Made the connections through the house today and we have 51 channels available on the "air." That's more than enough "live tv" combined with the RVEAL.

But you can't get current HDTV or DYI Network, or Gold Rush or American Pickers or History Channel or a lot of others. My son has off the air something, and he watches a Lot of movies old and new. I do not watch movies, But Science Channel and the others listed above. With Direct TV current billing with one HD Receiver and one large screen set my bill is $103 a month. Yes I would like to cut the Dish but so far no one has a service that lets me pick and choose. ??

Ok.... Reading up on KODI
    Last edited by Bill George; 03-09-2018 at 6:13 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Bill, if you have reasonably good high speed Internet service, you can have "cable like" streaming with many of the so-called "cable" channels from providers like Hulu and YouTubeTV. You'll need that same HSI for KODI, too...or any other streaming source. It may have already been mentioned, but there's a lot of scrutiny on KODI at this point because of the platform being used for unlawful access to content. So you'll want to look at other potential solutions, too. Also DirectTV Now provides the same content you get now via the dish, but via the Internet to various consumer-provided set-top adapters, such as AppleTV, Roku, etc. You might look at switching if your HSI can support streaming.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well I did a lot of online research and found Playstation Vue same channels I have now but about 1/2 the cost. Can be streamed on five seperate devices at the same time. On the other you have to go to prirated sources.

We have slow dsl service so can I use a dvd recorder to buffer a show/movie and watch latter without the pauses?
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    We have slow dsl service so can I use a dvd recorder to buffer a show/movie and watch latter without the pauses?
    Bil lD
    Can you use it with Playstation Vue? I seem to remember some restrictions.

We have a Sony Playstation Vue subscription. We watch it over relatively slow DSL (10 to 13 MPS) provided by CenturyLink, our landline service. We normally watch it via WiFi over a Fire box since I have a Prime subscription as well. I also occasionally watch PSV on my cell phone at the gym over their WiFi. Watching it over DSL isn't optimum, but it works for us since normally only one person at a time is watching it. When the new house is finished I'll have Ethernet cable between the router and the Fire box so it may improve, or I may look into cable internet (Comcast) in the future. My wife watches about 99% of the TV in the house so I really can't speak to the content.

We're about to discontinue cable tv as Charter/Spectrum are nothing less than thieves. They are the only cable game in town and I need wifi but we are dropping tv and phone which will save us about $100 a month but we will spend $44 for Sony Playstation Vue. I've tested the others and didn't find the interface friendly. I didn't test DirectNow but their reviews are so bad it didn't seem wothwhile. I'll have to buy new Rokus for 2 sets and I'm going to buy Ooma as we want to keep our conventional telephone even though it is voip.

I've used a cell phone for my business for years and wouldn't switch. I also discontinued faxes years ago.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    We're about to discontinue cable tv as Charter/Spectrum are nothing less than thieves.
    I will agree they are very dishonest. I was going to switch to them as Frontier has horrible customer service, but they promised me I could have the same 100/100 I'm currently getting. When they got here, they installed it and it was only 100/10. They want to charge me more than I'm currently paying for Frontier and get less service. No thanks. I told the installer to take it all back with him and cancelled. Frontier still sucks, but at least I only have to talk to them once every couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    I will agree they are very dishonest. I was going to switch to them as Frontier has horrible customer service, but they promised me I could have the same 100/100 I'm currently getting. When they got here, they installed it and it was only 100/10. They want to charge me more than I'm currently paying for Frontier and get less service. No thanks. I told the installer to take it all back with him and cancelled. Frontier still sucks, but at least I only have to talk to them once every couple of years.
    I am agreeing with all I read here. Century Link here in Iowa at least in my area was a big improvement over Qwest who they bought out, reliable now but still lucky to get 5 or 6 Megabytes whatever download speed. Mediacom who I hate because of past customer service and attitude is the other game in town, but it is Fiber and just a 100 ft or so from my house. The DSL is 26 gauge copper ran in the 1960's. Direct TV online service seems to mirror the dish packages, they leave out good channels to make you pay for a upgrade. Thanks AT&T, for the SOS.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-12-2018 at 5:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I am agreeing with all I read here. Century Link here in Iowa at least in my area was a big improvement over Qwest who they bought out, reliable now but still lucky to get 5 or 6 Megabytes whatever download speed. Mediacom who I hate because of past POS customer service and attitude is the other game in town, but it is Fiber and just a 100 ft or so from my house. The DSL is 26 gauge copper ran in the 1960's. Direct TV online service seems to mirror the dish packages, they leave out good channels to make you pay for a upgrade. Thanks AT&T, for the SOS.
    We had to upgrade to FiOS because Verizon flat out told us that they'd rather pay the fines for not providing us service than replace the old copper line that we were using. We had techs out at least 2-3x a month searching for copper pairs that hadn't corroded into uselessness. The second FiOS was available, we were the first house that had it installed and I've loved it ever since. When we moved, the first criteria was that it had to be in a FiOS-enabled neighborhood. I will never go back to copper again.