Thread: Searching for a product to repair the doors in my china closet / hutch

Question Searching for a product to repair the doors in my china closet / hutch

I am not a carpenter, but I found Sawmill Creek in searching for something to fix the glass doors of my china closet. My house is rather dry, and the molding that is holding the glass in the paneled doors has dried out and is gradually falling out. I thought at first that it was caulking compound, but I see that it is a strip of malleable material. I think I saw exactly what I needed online, but I can't find where to purchase it. I think it is called a glass retainer. It is a long roll of crenelated brown plastic; the little protrusions would fit in the kerf (is that the right term?) between the wood and the glass panels.
    The photo I saw had www.sawmillcreek.org on it.

Does anyone know where I can buy it? I would be extremely grateful for the information.

Thank you!

Wanda Trimnal

Not familiar with that term or similar product. Wood strips and putty mixed with color and varnish have also been used.

This might be what your are looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/Freud-GM005-M...keywords=gm005
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

i cant imagine that the plastic will dry to the point of falling out? the old norco windows were held in with a plastic thing and they shrunk, but not enough to fall out.

it could be glazing compound. this will dry out and shrink to the point of falling out in a strip that could seem like what is described. I have seen a saw kerf used where the compound goes to give a bit of bite.

could you provide us with an age on the cabinet? or a picture?

Blog Entries
    You can also buy this product from Rocklers. Glass retaining strip
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thank you. I might try that if I can't find the product. I appreciate your response.

Thank you. I think this might be what I need. Do I need special tools to insert it, or can I push it in with my fingers?

Should be able to push in with your fingers or a putty knife.
    George

Pictures of my china cabinet / hutch

My parents bought this piece of furniture in the early 1970s. I now have it in my house. These are the doors that have problems with the cushioning strip drying and falling out. The glass rattles in the doors if someone with a heavy gait walks by. One of the photos shows the inside, where the pieces are beginning to dry and fall out.

Thank you for taking a look.

Wanda
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you, Lee. I'm pretty sure the item I just purchased from Rockler is exactly what I was looking for. I really appreciate your help, for I have gone to a local hardware store and two big box stores looking for something to use. Without the technical vocabulary, it was hard to describe exactly what I needed.

Wanda

That's good. I do have a putty knife if I need to use it.

Thank you!

Wanda

The product from Rockers arrived today and it worked perfectly! My cabinet doors no longer rattle, and they look brand new with the glass retaining strips.

Thanks again for your help!

Wanda

Glad to have been of help.
    George