Thread: Trim Routers

Trim Routers

Does anyone know if the Porter Cable or Dewalt trim router bases can accept standard Porter Cable guide bushings?

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

The old model 310 will accept them as does the later and cheaper model 7310.

I am not sure which models you are talking about but the Newer DeWalt 611 does. The matching Porter Cable probably does as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I am not sure which models you are talking about but the Newer DeWalt 611 does. The matching Porter Cable probably does as well.
    I believe this to be correct with one minor clarification, only in the plunge base. For the fixed base you will need a different sub base which is available from deWalt
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I am in the market for one, and Woodcraft has a sale until the end of the month on these:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/d...model-dwp611pk
    https://www.woodcraft.com/products/p...lunge-base-kit
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Blog Entries
    I recently purchased a Dewalt trim router and guide bushings. I am looking forward to using it.

The Dewalt 611 PK is a few dollars cheaper at Amazon and George is correct- to use the router without the plunge base and guide bushings, you need to buy the round sub base.

I love mine.

I just got the DeWalt 611pk and used it with the bushing. It works very well and I am extremely happy with it. It has plenty of power and easy to handle.

It was a Christmas present from my wife.
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 01-16-2018 at 7:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    The Dewalt 611 PK is a few dollars cheaper at Amazon and George is correct- to use the router without the plunge base and guide bushings, you need to buy the round sub base.
    Unless of course you make your own sub base and configure it to take the standard guide bushings. I know the OP is in the market to buy a new trim router that will do this out of the box, but for anyone else interested, making a sub base is surprisingly easy.I use clear 1/4" polycarbonate from Amazon. Use the factory base plate as a template to mark the mounting holes. Attach to the router, use a v groove bit turned by hand to mark the center, then drill with a 1 3/8" forstner enough to create the rabbet for the guide bushing, change to a 1 1/4" forstner and drill all the way through and you're done. When I made mine, I made it in an offset teardrop shape so the base would function as both a guide bushing base and an offset base for stabilizing the router.

This is explained in a book called Router Magic by Bill Hylton.

+1 to making custom bases. I have more than a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hines, MD View Post
    I am in the market for one, and Woodcraft has a sale until the end of the month on these:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/d...model-dwp611pk
    https://www.woodcraft.com/products/p...lunge-base-kit
    You can find the DeWalt a bit less expensive at Amazon.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.