Thread: A Clavichord Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A Clavichord Build

It was back in June of 2016 that I asked this forum on suggestions for a first clavichord build project. The first week in January of 2016 I got the plans for the Christian Gottlob Hubert 1784 (serial 8604) from St Cecilia. I began the building process in August of 2016. I decided to build the instrument casework from ash not the original cherry since I had some well seasoned ash on hand.

The build began with resawing. I have since upgraded my frame-saw "bandsaw blade" with proper re-sawing blade and WOW did it work faster....of course I had already completed on the tough re-sawing with a bandsaw blade.
    c001.jpgc002.jpgc003.jpg

Initially I made a base of some crappy blue stained pine that I had sitting around but after a month it warped & twisted something fierce so I had to pull it off and replace it with some popular that went out and purchased. At the time of this photo my little chocolate lab Deacon was only 4 months old. He is definitely too big to sit in the clavichord now!
    c004.jpg
    Gluing the base on took a bit of skill to get it done quickly before the animal hide glue cooled! I slightly modified the one mouse hole design from the plans and made it from 4 smaller scraps of oak. It seemed like the easiest way.

c006.jpgc007.jpg

Well, 8 photos are the limit per post so, to-be-continued!

Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images