Thread: “Mo” The Gold Miner. Life size

“Mo” The Gold Miner. Life size

Hi and Happy New Year!
    I had posted Robert Penny the Baker that was the 4th sculpture I carved for our town of Chewton, Victoria, Australia. But here is the first one. “Mo” The Gold Miner. It was installed in Dec, 2014 and it’s 4 doors up from our house in front of Mo’s Antiques shop.

Mo ( Gerald ) the owner of the antique shop commissioned the sculpture and posed for it as well. ( Gerald’s the one poseing with the completed Sculpture.) After a hour and a half of measurements and pictures from every possible angle taken of Gerald. I told Gerald that “ I knew more about him now then I ever wanted to know! “ Gerald thought that was very funny and It’s our little joke now.

The Miner represents the “ Mount Alexander Diggings Gold Rush “ that happened right here where I’m sitting in 1851. With a estimated 40,000 miners coming here to seek there fortunes. And legend has it a few did!

Mo the Miner, is carved from a single piece of white Cedar. I really strive for authenticity on a carving and did some research on the items that a Miner of the day would have had on him. I use all power tools to carve, Chainsaws, grinders and Dremels and it took about a month to carve.
    I will post the other two of the four sculptures of Chewton soon.

Regards Richard Yates

image1_x.jpg image2_x.jpg image3_x.jpg

image4.jpeg image5_x.jpg image6_x.jpg
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 01-15-2018 at 5:25 AM. Reason: photos

That's beautiful Richard! He looks positively lifelike. The bedroll caught my attention - it looks like you could touch it and feel the cloth. His scarf (bandana?) has a feathery look that surprised me - I never saw a scarf like that. Is it representing worn cloth or was that a miner "style"? (See? The sculpture is so lifelike, I'm referring to it as if it were an actual picture! You definitely drew me in.)

What a fine piece!
    Fred

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Absolutely Stunning work Richard. I want one.......

Your customer certainly has no room to complain that the end product didn't look like the model. That is just excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Absolutely Stunning work Richard. I want one.......
    You want a "Mo" or a life-sized "Keith", perhaps for the foyer?

This piece is amazing. Just like every other carving Richard has shown us! I'm surprised the world's top galleries and museums are not yet beating a path to Chewton.

JKJ

Awesome carving.

Incredible piece of art and display of skills!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Yep to all. The pic with real knee touching wooden knee...that's when you should have done that Michalangelo with marble
    Moses thing...strike both with mallet and say "now, speak!". Heck, at least one of them would yell "That hurt!"

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    You want a "Mo" or a life-sized "Keith", perhaps for the foyer?

He wants a life sized Keith to mount on the helm of the SMC yacht.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

This is stellar work, absolute fine in every way. I hope it is protected from the elements because I would suppose that could be a museum piece some day.

That's strikingly beutiful. Great work Richard.

Hi guys. Sorry for my late reply.

Art, Brandon, Ken, Marshal, Thank you so much for your kind comments. I truly appreciate it.

Frederick, Thank you for that. And on that scarf, I would do that differently if I had a do over. It’s one of
    those things I think every carver experiences. Is that when the carving is finally done ( as if we ever really “finish” a carving, we merely abandon it. ) you see things that make you say what was I thinking?!

Keith, I most certainly can set you up with one of these! Have your people contact my people. We’ll make it happen!

John, Thank you so much for that! Well....They haven’t found that path to beat to my door yet. But you never know your luck in the big city of Chewton! Honestly I do really feel very blessed to be doing what I love and to still be able to eat regularly and live indoors. It’s all a guy could ask for.

Pat, Unfortunately it’s not protected. But hopefully Mo’s owner might decide to put a roof over his wood friend one day.

Mel, That’s a good one! I’ve never heard of that, I’ll have to try that out on the next one!

Regards Richard

I expect you guys will see "Mo the Gold Miner" again in our Hall of Fame (HOF). Less than a month to go before we unveil the HOF if we stay on schedule.