Thread: “Mo” The Gold Miner. Life size

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

“Mo” The Gold Miner. Life size

Hi and Happy New Year!
    I had posted Robert Penny the Baker that was the 4th sculpture I carved for our town of Chewton, Victoria, Australia. But here is the first one. “Mo” The Gold Miner. It was installed in Dec, 2014 and it’s 4 doors up from our house in front of Mo’s Antiques shop.

Mo ( Gerald ) the owner of the antique shop commissioned the sculpture and posed for it as well. ( Gerald’s the one poseing with the completed Sculpture.) After a hour and a half of measurements and pictures from every possible angle taken of Gerald. I told Gerald that “ I knew more about him now then I ever wanted to know! “ Gerald thought that was very funny and It’s our little joke now.

The Miner represents the “ Mount Alexander Diggings Gold Rush “ that happened right here where I’m sitting in 1851. With a estimated 40,000 miners coming here to seek there fortunes. And legend has it a few did!

Mo the Miner, is carved from a single piece of white Cedar. I really strive for authenticity on a carving and did some research on the items that a Miner of the day would have had on him. I use all power tools to carve, Chainsaws, grinders and Dremels and it took about a month to carve.
    I will post the other two of the four sculptures of Chewton soon.

Regards Richard Yates

image1_x.jpg image2_x.jpg image3_x.jpg

image4.jpeg image5_x.jpg image6_x.jpg
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 01-15-2018 at 5:25 AM. Reason: photos