Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Apron? Vest? How do you keep track of things?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Hey Simon,

I mainly got the apron to keep dust off my clothes. The pockets just caught me by surprise for usefulness.

I realize that Neander woodworking is a bit different, so figured I'd ask.
    I am another who dearly wants an apron to work but, I just can't seem to deal with them. I've tried everything from full aprons to just the waist bags. I even modified a belt-clipped tool holder to hold just the items I use when selecting stock and marking parts. This is the only version of wearable tool holder that has survived the 'proof of concept' testing with me.

My alternative to the apron has been my methods and working habits. I have things that I use in a certain area for certain tasks stored in those areas; shallow drawers at the bench for chisels, rules, marking gauges / knives and the like. Tools involved with sharpening tasks are at the sharpening area so I don't have to go looking for them and other such 'work station' like approaches to tool gatherings. This means I have a few tapes, 6" rules and calipers at different places around the shop but, it works for me.

I am just a bit too mobile or too clumsy for the apron. I am constantly catching it on something or trying to move in a way that it resists. I still look at them longingly and hope to stumble on a design that will be useful and still allow me freedom of movement.

Blog Entries
    How do I keep track of things. Well.... my wife sees to that I do.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    How do I keep track of things. Well.... my wife sees to that I do.
    Guess I need to get me a wife!

I used to have my wife make canvas aprons for me to wear around the shop, but nowadays I use a Lee Valley apron. They work better and my wife complains less.

I keep a pencil or pen in the breast pockets, but nothing in the waist pockets (except sawdust and shavings that find their way in). I like John's idea of attaching a magnet to keep a steel ruler in place.

The advantage to an apron is it protects my clothes from stains, and all I need to do to eliminate the dust and shavings that even neanderthal style woodworking produces from my clothes is to remove the apron. Time saver.

But once again, other than pencils, I don't like to carry tools in my apron.

I put a steel washer inside the fabric and a rare earth magnet on the outside of the fabric of whatever I'm wearing - tee shirt to heavy fleece - to hold a tool or two as needed for the job at hand. Couple of screwdrivers up a ladder or countersink at drill press. Glued little washers to my carpenter's pencils. Even hold parts on thighs of my jeans.

After years of working as a carpenter, with the heavy bags hanging off my hips, I have a pinched nerve in my hip that precludes wearing them anymore. (this was back before suspenders were invented). So I simply clip this to my pocket: marking knife, some pencils, tape, dust collector remote, 6" rule. My guiding principle is KISS.
    pouch.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.