Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apron? Vest? How do you keep track of things?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Stock View Post
    But seriously, a luthier needs two things from an apron: protection of the instrument finish from scratches caused by clothing (buttons, zippers, belt buckles, etc.), and a place to put a few tools. After close to 14 years of luthiery, I carry a cheap 4" Harbor Freight digital caliper, a small Starrett adjustable square, a 4B Tombow pencil, a 2xAAA Coast LED penlight inspection flashlight (clipped to pocket on right side of apron), 0.5 and 0.7mm Pentel mechanical pencils, 6" Starrett flex rule in 5R grad, and a Fender Premium Plush polishing cloth. After a number of aprons, the Veritas Valley Mk. II canvas apron gets my vote - nicely adjustable over the shoulder sand neck, two slash pockets for tools that will not fill with dust or dump tools onto the work, and a couple good pencil and rule pockets on the upper chest that will not spill. The apron comes in two lengths, with the shorter one perfect for those under 5'-6" or with some curves. For buffing work, the shop apron comes off and a simple twill or flannel kitchen apron goes on, along with fume/dust mask and a good check for anything hanging loose.

On tools in the the apron - I seldom use a tape, other than rough milling, so tapes are scattered around the shop, fixed to machines with magnets (the little DeWalt has a built-in magnet) - one hangs on the band saw, one on the tablesaw, and a few others sit in handle places near the benches. For measurements longer than 6", you'll want a good 24" and 36" rule graduated in 5R or 16R, and another Starrett flex rule in 12" length with the same grads. I keep a duplicate set of rules in the shop in mm for work on classicals , and a 6" 32nd/64th/1mm/ 0.5mm rule with end grads in 32nds or 64th is a good idea. A trimming plane like the little LN is handy, but I have one at each bench, and that is primarily where luthiers work, other than when at the trojy or buffing.

On digital calipers...necessary for luthiers, where tolerances are often +/- 0.001". I've gotten so used to using them that even on cabinet work where a 64th would be fine (17 times larger than my usual tolerances!), I still work to digital values of a few thou...force of habit.

Thanks for the tips, Todd!

I find myself stumbling through this, since most of my pro luthier friends use giant thickness sanders and tons of jigs.
    I'll be mostly building off a portable workbench, with a few scrapers and hand planes.

Knowing specifically which tools is really helpful.
    I'll be saving your post for notes.

But yeah...I agree with you regarding the tape measures. Mine would be more for thinking through jigs/shop furniture that would need to be mocked up.

By the way, any pictures of your work stations?
    I'll need to make a workbench, a Trojy, and organization.
    As for digital calipers, I love my Mitotuyo!
    I've been trying to figure out how to make a thickness caliper with a digital dial caliper.

One tool that I've found pretty useful (but not apron friendly) is the japanese miter gauge: http://www.hidatool.com/woodworking/...gauge-aluminum
    It's got a nice flat surface for laying out square lines and checking square.

I just found these aprons online like the ones I wore in the toolroom. They are nice because they are light to wear and good pockets.

sevenmilecreek.com.

I use the bench's tool well. I have a decent, cotton duck apron...more to keep me clean, than keep track of tools. Then again, I work in a very small shop area..

I have a couple but they hang neatly on a hook unused for several years now...Just me I suppose....They keep you neater, cleaner but in my small world, tend to get in the way...Said the man with the lost handtools and the dirty clothes
    Jerry

https://youtu.be/hlhwL4-2-bE?t=4m29s

The easiest way to gain a few pounds, guys!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    I have a couple but they hang neatly on a hook unused for several years now...Just me I suppose....They keep you neater, cleaner but in my small world, tend to get in the way...Said the man with the lost handtools and the dirty clothes
    More dirty clothes than lost tools for me. My shop clothes and aprons always go into a separate load from my family's.

I like my old Lee Valley aprons because they have pocket flaps to keep sawdust away. I wear them only when using power tools and applying finishes. Using hand tools is generally a dust-less operation.

Simon

I wear this for trim carpentry and in my shop
    Very handy
    https://workingperson.com/blaklader-...aroo-vest.html
    Carpe Lignum

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon SPEAKS View Post
    I dont think I could get myself to wear an apron or vest for tool holding. I do have a belt which is invaluable if putting up a fence or siding where you need a large supply of screws or nails and a place to hand a drill, hammer, pliers, etc when you need both hands. Even then though I liked a minamilist one with one decent size pouch for screws, a hanger for drill / hammer and only one more small pocket for fencing pliers. In the shop though I almost never use it, the back jeans pocket will work for smaller items and bigger stuff is just set on the bench or in a small rubbermade tote.

I tired an apron once to keep close lest dusty and keep chips off for power carving and lathe work but in the end I never wear it.

If I ever did use something a belt style would be better for me than vest or apron I think but it would be set up with items for a given operation or series of operations and not general storage.
    I love my bjornklader pants other than I have to empty the pouches to wash. The built-in knee pads are one of those things that remind you how great they are every time you kneel. They are a great combination of work pant and tool/fastener holder. They are a bit more tuned to general construction than woodworking, but still work great. If you work where it is hot, they also have a short pants version. Being Swedish may make me biased though.

I just use the pockets on my work pants, have found it neither necessary nor comfortable to be a walking tool cabinet. Most things are either in the actual tool cabinet or the tool well of the bench which is usually close enough not to have to carry everything around.

I use a carpenters tool belt for projects outside where its nice to carry nails, hammer, tape measure etc. Never thought about why I would need anything inside my little shop. All a skirt would do would be get in my way.

Blaklader vest has worked well for me.

I have a Rockler style of apron. I always keep a block plane, utility knife, wax for tool, a four way file, and other tools in the four pockets. I hang it near my workbench and whenever I need those tools, I know exactly where to go.

Feel free to PM me, and I'll point you towards some resources on trojys, etc.

Vest like Tom Lie Nielsen wears - with pencil and rule slots at chest and 2 lower pockets for small tape measure and a few screws. One warm for winter. One light with mesh back for summer.

Actually I glued a magnet inside mine in just the right spot to hold the 6" rule on the front where my hand can find it without looking.