Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apron? Vest? How do you keep track of things?

Apron? Vest? How do you keep track of things?

Hey Neanderbuddies,

I recently got a Veritas apron for the power tool workshop, and love it.

Previously, I would always fumble for a square, tape measure, pencil, some screws, knife, etc.

This got me thinking that an apron/vest might be useful for unplugged woodworking?

What do you guys think?
    Any preferences? Thoughts?

I was going to repurpose a vest as a Neander woodworking mobile armament: pencil, square, marking knife, micrometer, tape measure....not sure what else?

My stuff is pretty small scale, simple, and light duty (not scrubbing a log).

How about you?

Sorry it is off the topic, but what do you use a micrometer for in woodworking? I am disabled so i work sitting so i cant give an opinion on aprons.

I use a 600mm length of 3.5mm paracord from each tool to a common anchor point on my old repurposed combat vest...no more lost tools. There is also a 40m length of 10.2mm Mammut Gravity Classic line running from center of the back of my vest to an anchor point just outside the shop door. The military refers to these retainers as 'dummy cords' - have no clue why.

I like your idea and I really wanted to like wearing a shop apron - pockets helpful. But after 2 tries, I didn't find a brand that's comfortable across my shoulders and gave up. My second attempt - $40 from Dubuque Trading - just hangs there on the wall.

Maybe one day I'll modify it.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I use an apron from Duluth Trading and love it. My tape, 6" rule, air cleaner remote, calculator, double squares, etc area always at hand.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

.... or you could just use this Veritas magnet tool belt ...

All the best dressed wear one ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Stock View Post
    There is also a 40m length of 10.2mm Mammut Gravity Classic line running from center of the back of my vest to an anchor point just outside the shop door. The military refers to these retainers as 'dummy cords' - have no clue why.
    Todd, I'm not following you. Why are you tethered like that? I can see how it would be a useful string of breadcrumbs for a war fighter, but what's it do for you in the shop?

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 01-15-2018 at 9:56 AM. Reason: Duplicate words deleted

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Fred:

I had been using the Veritas magnetic belt system as Derek posted; however, after a mishap opening a clogged bottle of CA, I managed to glue both hands to my forehead, and in attempting to walk to shop door for aid, stumbled into a Lally column. Several of the unused magnets (I had tools on order to fill them) locked me firmly in place, and only after missing breakfast, lunch, and dinner did my family discover what had become of me and summon appropriate help. I sadly parted with the Veritas belt and moved onto the cord system described.
    Last edited by Todd Stock; 01-15-2018 at 7:57 AM.

Fred:

I had been using the Veritas magnetic belt system as Derek posted; however, after a mishap opening a clogged bottle of CA, I managed to glue both hands to my forehead, and in attempting to walk to shop door for aid, stumbled into a Lally column. Several of the unused magnets (I had tools on order to fill them) locked me firmly in place, and only after missing breakfast, lunch, and dinner did my family discover what had become of me and summon appropriate help. I sadly parted with the Veritas belt and moved onto the cord system described.
    Todd,
    I think that story ranks right up there with a couple Malcolm Schweitzer has posted here. (Assuming you're not pulling my leg! ) Man, what a crazy string of events! Definitely funnier in the years after than it was at the time, huh? Glad you got out of that mess.

Fred

I have both aprons and vests as well as a nice tool belt for construction work. What I cannot do, after 40 years of strenuous effort, is to train myself to put my pencil (or speedsquare, or whatever else) back into my pocket rather than laying it down next to wherever I was using it. I tried using a zinger for the pencil, but it drove me crazy.

Fred:

Funniest thing I've read all year. Careful not to inadvertently hang yourself on that tether

its a shame that sarcasm doesn't always translate well in these capacities...
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Fred:

Todd, I am so sorry that you went through this ordeal. If you contact Lee Valley, they will send you an order of Domino's Pizza to replace the calories you lost.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 01-15-2018 at 9:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    .... or you could just use this Veritas magnet tool belt ...

This could make stretching for something while the nail bin is on the bench an ER-worthy event!

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Todd, ... Why are you tethered like that? ...
    I believe that would be a rescue line. Useful for first responders - without necessitating them calling OSHA for a Confined Space Entry Permit to Todd's shop (What ARE you building in there??)

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    Funniest thing I've read all year. Careful not to inadvertently hang yourself on that tether

its a shame that sarcasm doesn't always translate well in these capacities...
    +1

The rockler apron is very comfortable and has a nice assortment of pockets.
    Don

When asked a few years ago about what I wanted for my birthday, I mentioned that Lee Valley has pretty good stuff, so she orders whatever shows up in the early April email flyer. I have to pretend that I find those gifts useful, but quite honestly, some of those tools have been real clunkers.