Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

15 Jan 2018

Good Morning Everyone,
    I missed last week due to me and The LOML helping my mother recover after major back fusion surgery. Little did I know that we'd be up all night and day, every night and day with precious little sleep for any of us. With that said, I'm up all hours of the night helping mom and The LOML and I finally worked out a schedule where each of us could get at least 4 hours sleep each night. We figured that "some" sleep was better than "no" sleep. I don't like all the pain my mother is in nor how much stuff needs to be fixed around her house. We're talking to her about selling the huge house and property she's in and move to a condo or managed facility where she will have her own place but much smaller and where she won't have to try to take care of the outside work.

I'm rambled on enough and it's almost time for more meds for mom, so I'll get off here and get busy.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Worked on our church remodel on Saturday:
    Installed three window surrounds in the cry room off the statuary , and cased them.

1780A398-ACDC-4B13-B03F-A97059850900.jpg

24554FDB-6699-4C33-B466-21E3CA23DF54.jpg

Also line out you of the other guys on framing up a landing and step that takes you out the back door:

2E2D9E3B-ADCE-4974-AF2F-CE2F9366FB09.jpg

Today I made two cardboard mock ups for size , mainly for a church we’ve done some remodeling for , they asked if I’d make a cross for their new contemplation garden.

C59BD095-5CC7-4584-9BEB-19918B8D4C22.jpg

B459C003-F834-4069-A742-9F4A299E77C9.jpg

Hard to see but there’s a circle that will be stainless steel in the actual cross:

2F8D6DBA-3623-461E-A2E9-C9787E102F27.jpg

Honestly, I took the weekend off from being in the shop working; Saturday was the normal food shopping at Wegman's with Professor Dr. SWMBO and I followed that up with doing some cleanup in my office including some adjustments on my computers and other devices. That was followed by cooking a delicious roast pork and fingerling potato dinner for the family. Sunday morning, we made a Costco run. That $1.50 "tube steak" lunch is easy on the wallet...err...well, not so much after hitting the meat department and other areas of the store before eating it. LOL But after portioning and "suckie bagging", I have enough boneless pork country rib meat, beef short ribs, NT steak and fish for about 20 meals ready to cook sous vide or otherwise. The rest of Sunday I continued on the office and device stuff. Back to the grind today after getting the new tires we ordered installed on my daughter's vehicle at Costco.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Survived a bout with the flu. Hopefully. :-)

Hope you're on the mend, Mike. There's been a bit of that bug goin' round the Northwest corner as well. I've stayed healthy so far this season, but we're getting ready for a brief trip to the east coast later this week that will put us in close contact with a lot more germs than we get in our usual surroundings.

After finishing and then delivering the last of my Christmas projects (only a little behind schedule) this weekend, I was able to get back to my bed project (the one that's due in February...but may not get done until March, or April...or...). After picking up another load of 4/4 red oak, I spent the majority of the day on Sunday milling and rough cutting all of the short blanks (3/4" x 3 1/2" width at random lengths between 24" and 36") that I'll be rejoining with dowels and lock miters to form the 4" x 4" posts, rails, and stiles of the head and foot board frames. I also built a better dowel jig that I'll use for joining the short pieces end-to-end to form each side of the 4" x 4" frame pieces. The whole thing is intended to look like a patchwork of reclaimed pallet wood--a shabby, chic kind of thing.
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 01-15-2018 at 5:25 PM.

Saturday I did my usual coaching Junior bowling. Then a friend came out to the lanes to get a bit of coaching himself. We proceeded to spend a bit more time there than I intended. Needless to say, I did not even think about using any sharp tools... So I did some rearranging of the basement in preparation of framing up some walls. We are going to be finishing it off this spring. Actually, I would like to get most, if not all the framing done by the time my fiancee gets back from her month-long work engagement. That evening I had my offroad club meeting.

Yesterday, I did a bit of grocery shopping to replace some items my fiancee took along with her. Then another friend came out to have me slice some smaller logs into discs for his wife to paint. After he left I dug out some plywood for the drawer bottom of my table saw tool cabinet. Yeah, still putzing around with that. cleaned up the edges for the top, glues in the slips for the drawer, glued in some stubby legs, and fit a bottom piece. I think all I have left is some finishing and then fitting the doors and top.

Then I watched the Vikings beat the Saints. Tough to watch since I am a Packer fan. Good game by anyone's definition, though.

I cleaned up the shop, including vacuuming it.

It looks so clean I don't know if I want to do any work now

On a more serious note a long time friend died, and now I'm helping his daughter clean out the basement.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Survived a bout with the flu. Hopefully. :-)
    It sucks, trust me. I've been down with it for 2 weeks now. I feel okay now, although I did spend a full week in bed, I just have this lingering cough that just won't go away and therefore, I can't even talk most of the time. I sound like I've been gargling gravel. I keep saying hopefully soon... but it hasn't gone away yet.