Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Assembly/Outfeed Table and First Project Video

My Assembly/Outfeed Table and First Project Video

I had always wanted to get into woodworking and video. For woodworking, space/time/money was always the big roadblocks for me. For video, I didnt really know have anything I wanted to shoot. When I got into woodworking in the beginning of 2017 I figured the two paired nicely. I've been in the website/digital industry for the past 10 years and also have a background as a CAD jockey. Woodworking, plans, video and website all seem to go together quite nicely so I figured I'd start a YouTube channel and website. I actually filmed this back in the summer but it took forever to get all the pieces aligned to finally publish it which I did last night.

As far as the actual project goes, it's a mobile assembly/outfeed table that has a fold down extension. I have a small shop so I figured any space I can save would be great. The funny thing is that since I've made this table and accumulated even more tools my car has been relegated to the driveway and the table hasnt moved much so I dont really use the extension. Regardless, it was fun to make and got me to do some things I hadn't done yet. The table has been beyond useful. I was using plywood on sawhorses before and my outfeed table was a roller stand which I loathed.

I'm still relatively new to woodworking so I'd love to hear feedback from y'all on my approach, techniques, etc. Thanks.

Thanks for posting your video...it may be a good idea for you to also post some still photos because many SMC members have "slow Internet" and really cannot watch videos well or at all. That looks like a fine project!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tim,

Nice job on the bench/table and the video.
    Thanks for sharing.

I especially appreciate your video editing efforts. A lot of videos I watch are way too long and show too much repetition of the same thing. I think you are on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Thanks for posting your video...it may be a good idea for you to also post some still photos because many SMC members have "slow Internet" and really cannot watch videos well or at all. That looks like a fine project!
    Thanks, Jim. Here are some still shots for those that can't access the video.

Thanks, Art and Keith!

Well done! That’s a nice looking table, lots of surface area.
    And you’re right, MDF is nasty to rout!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Well done! That’s a nice looking table, lots of surface area.
    And you’re right, MDF is nasty to rout!
    Thanks. And you aint kidding, man! That was miserable! Routing is bad enough with wood but MDF just gets everywhere.

I like that it's on casters, Tim, so it can double as a work / layout table. How do you hook it to the table saw ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    I like that it's on casters, Tim, so it can double as a work / layout table. How do you hook it to the table saw ?
    It just rolls right up to it. No connection to the saw.

Very nice job Tim! I like the casters and leveling system.

What's the purpose of the drop down extension on the saw side? Sorry if you explained it and I missed it in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Very nice job Tim! I like the casters and leveling system.

What's the purpose of the drop down extension on the saw side? Sorry if you explained it and I missed it in the video.
    Thank you, Edwin.

I put the fold down extension on for two reasons 1) I move stuff around in my shop quite a bit so getting an extra foot sounded like a good idea 2) (and this is probably the real reason) just to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim M Tuttle View Post
    No connection to the saw.
    How do you keep the mitre slots aligned and the outfeed table from moving when heavy boards and panels are slid across ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    How do you keep the mitre slots aligned and the outfeed table from moving when heavy boards and panels are slid across ?
    Yonak, if you look closely, you'll see that Tim has leveling feet that engage the floor when it's not being wheeled around. The weight of the assembly is likely more than enough to keep it in place during cutting actions. Even just quality double-locking casters would do that in most circumstances, in my experience.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yonak, if you look closely, you'll see that Tim has leveling feet that engage the floor when it's not being wheeled around. The weight of the assembly is likely more than enough to keep it in place during cutting actions. Even just quality double-locking casters would do that in most circumstances, in my experience.
    Jim is correct. The table weighs quite a bit and when not being moved it's completely stationary. It takes quite a bit to move it when it's sitting on those levelers.