Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 66 table saw and Powermatic 15 planer

Powermatic 66 table saw and Powermatic 15 planer

I need some help pricing some wordworking tools. I bought a home in West Michigan from an executor of an estate. The deceased was an avid woodworker and furniture builder. The home has a large workshop in the basement with a number of amazing tools, that unfortunately I don't have any current use for. I believe the tools are from 2003 judging from the plates. As you can see from the pics, they are in great condition and have been well maintained (the entire workshop is meticulous). The tablesaw has the Accufence and the Rout-R-Lift. I know what the current prices are for tools like this but can anyone provide me with any sense on what the market value for tools like this are? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    2018-01-01 14.58.10.jpg2018-01-01 14.36.28.jpg2018-01-01 14.33.41.jpg
    Last edited by Gregg Slager; 01-13-2018 at 12:28 PM.

My starting point is always 50% of the new cost. Unless the item is rarely on the used market, for example festool stuff. Powermatic is pretty easy to find on the used market.

I'd guess $800 for the planer. And $1000 for the saw.

I think you can get a lot more for those two tools than suggested in the post above mine. Both nice tools and the saw is a US version which should make a little more desirable in my opinion. Do your research and price higher in my opinion unless you just want to fire sale them to get them gone. If I were closer and didn’t already have a restored PM66 I’d be interested.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-13-2018 at 2:36 PM.

Half the current new ones is a good starting point. The planer likely has straight knives; most people now days want either a Tersa head or a segmented one. That diminishes the value for many. Similarly, the TS likely has no riving knife. That shouldn't have as big an impact, but it could. The problem comes when people look at the price of a new Grizzly and see that it's no more than what you should be able to get for those machines. The two aren't equal but new vs. used, warranty vs. none and, above all else, price will sway people to go with the Grizzly. So look at the price of Grizzly's sort of equivalent machines as a reference point, too.

Those machines look as good as new and I hope you find a buyer who values them accordingly.

John

Since you’re getting all this help from the forum, how about a lead to the executor and the rest of the shop for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Since you’re getting all this help from the forum, how about a lead to the executor and the rest of the shop for sale?
    Matt - The shop and tools all came with the house I acquired. There are other goodies, but I expect to be using them. If you have specific things you are looking for, let me know.

Gosh darn, a house with a complete shop included.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg Slager View Post
    Matt - The shop and tools all came with the house I acquired. There are other goodies, but I expect to be using them. If you have specific things you are looking for, let me know.
    That's really great. There's a house in my neighborhood where the guy has very complete metal and woodworking shops (two different buildings) and the realtor is trying to sell the house with all the tools. Personally, I think that's a mistake. There's only a limited number of people who want a house with two complete workshops.

And anyone who would know how to use all the tools probably has many of the tools already.

So far, the house hasn't sold and it's been on the market for a while.

I think the guy ought to sell off all the tools, and then sell the house - as a house - and not as a house with two workshops full of tools.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

1500 saw - 1000 planer.

2300 if someone buys both.

And be done. Could possibly squeeze more, but harder to find that guy.

I’d go with Martin’s prices given above. Good prices for both buyer and seller.

Have you checked the planer to see if the cutterhead is straight knife or spiral?

The main things that would pique my interest would probably be vintage machines, which based on what I’ve seen I’d doubt you have.

It’d be great if SMC was up on that computer in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg Slager View Post
    I need some help pricing some wordworking tools. I bought a home in West Michigan from an executor of an estate. The deceased was an avid woodworker and furniture builder. The home has a large workshop in the basement with a number of amazing tools, that unfortunately I don't have any current use for. I believe the tools are from 2003 judging from the plates. As you can see from the pics, they are in great condition and have been well maintained (the entire workshop is meticulous). The tablesaw has the Accufence and the Rout-R-Lift. I know what the current prices are for tools like this but can anyone provide me with any sense on what the market value for tools like this are? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 2018-01-01 14.58.10.jpg2018-01-01 14.36.28.jpg2018-01-01 14.33.41.jpg
    Often is the case that cabinet saws, jointers, planners and other larger machines are subject to local market pricing. It’s partly due to shipping costs and then also because we often like to demo the used tool we are buying.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-14-2018 at 2:01 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I’d go with Martin’s prices given above. Good prices for both buyer and seller.

Have you checked the planer to see if the cutterhead is straight knife or spiral?

The main things that would pique my interest would probably be vintage machines, which based on what I’ve seen I’d doubt you have.

It’d be great if SMC was up on that computer in the background.
    Nothing really vintage. The cutterhead I believe is straight knives.

Mike if that house is still for sale in about 2-3 years I might be interested. Probably out of my price range for a retirement home though. Any idea what they are asking?
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Mike if that house is still for sale in about 2-3 years I might be interested. Probably out of my price range for a retirement home though. Any idea what they are asking?
    Bill D
    I sent you a PM with the address, Bill. You can look it up on Zillow. I expect it will sell one way or the other before 2-3 years. I notice they dropped the price since I first saw it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.