Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Over Toilet Cabinet

George your way wil work just fine. If you didn't want the joint to show with the drawer open you could rabbet the back of the rail and stiles and fit the 1/4 into that. Seems like more work to hide a joint in that situation. I'd just go with your plan.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    We have a cabinet over the toilet currently (been there for 18 yrs) and have never had anything fall into the toilet. My son and daughter-in-law have one also and they have never had anything fall into the toilet.
    Same here, we've always had cabinets over the toilets and have yet to have a problem. Maybe this is an issue for people who are incapable of putting the lid down, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Instead of drawers maybe flip down fronts like on some kitchen sink cabinets
    Didn't think about this. Thanks Jerome I will think about it and runt by the boss.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Didn't think about this. Thanks Jerome I will think about it and runt by the boss.
    Those are really handy BTW. You can pick up a simple kit at HD or Lowes for a couple of bucks.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rev-A-Shelf...Basket/3031321

Commercial bathroom cabinets are a neglected market, good project. Since the cabinet will not be over the sink it can be deeper than the standard mundane stuff. To make the drawers deeper I would make the finished piece the same depth as
    front of terlet tank to wall. And use standard drawers with a stop to make sure a guest doesn't pull one all the way out.

Based on the dimensions of the commercial version of this cabinet as pictured in your first post, the case sides are at least close to 3/4 in. thick. That is probably thicker than you need to use, though. I made a start on a 3D model. Draw with 3/4-in.-thick sides and horizontals
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 01-14-2018 at 7:23 PM.

Dave that is awesome. Looks great. I was going to use 1/2" because the one we have (purchased) is done in 1/2". I thought 3/4" would be a little heavy looking but your drawing looks great in 3/4". Using thicker stock makes joints much easier.

Thanks, your work is appreciated. I wish I could master SketchUp. From time to time I try and get nowhere.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

George, keep in mind that you can always lighten the look (for example, with chamfered edges) if you feel the 3/4" sides are heavy. Trying to build a carcass in 1/2" is tricky as there is not much to work with.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    Hi,
    I am thinking about doing the same thing. Just wondering how much concern things falling out of the cabinet into the toilet is...yes, I am serious about this question.
    Of course, put the lid down before opening the cabinet is the answer I guess, but who can count on that?
    Bill
    Bill,

Your concern is well justified. I put up a temporary shelf above the toilet in our master bathroom to hold some towels until I got around to building an over the toilet cabinet. Our son and his wife were living with us at the time. His wife stored some small glass bottles of stuff she used while taking a bath, on the end of the shelf on the bathtub side. Well she knocked some bottles off the shelf and they fell into the bathtub. Two severe nicks happened in the tub's porcelain. I tried to patch the nicks using porcelain paint but over time the nicks started rusting anyway. I have to replace the bathtub.

Stuff in a "cabinet" could only fall in the toilet (not in the tub) but the damage to the porcelain could still happen, so only store stuff in the cabinet that cannot damage the toilet even if they fall in. The other thing is that someone does not flush the toilet with something that fell in. They will have to fish it out even if they just made #2. If you have young children, that may be a challenge .

Mike

Nothing would fall in the toilet if the lid is kept down... (Required in our house!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...