Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Three-leg bar stool

Three-leg bar stool

Question: for a three-leg bar Windsor style stool, would you place the single leg at the front or rear, and why?

Regards from Perth

Derek

In the front because if you lean right front or left front and lose balance you will lean into the bar/counter as opposed to falling backwards if the single leg was in the back???

An interesting question. I have been thinking about making a 3 leg stool (not bar height) and thought there should be 1 leg in the front and 2 in the back, using similar thinking as Chet. When your question came in I started thinking again about this question. A Google search on 3 leg bar stools shown most of those with a back having the single leg at the back. That got me thinking about the stability when getting on and off the stool and that seems to be better with the 2 legs in the front. Also would there be a foot rest if there is only a single leg in the front, and if so, how would that effect the stability when getting on and off. For a standard height stool (16" high) the question is less important as the sitter has 2 legs on the ground to aid stability.

The leg or legs in the back should probably be splayed out more than the front leg(s) if there is a back to lean into.

All things considered, I'd probably make the 3 legged windsor bar stool with 4 legs, just because of these questions.

Derek, if you put them on the front less chance of someone toppling unless they take everyone, like dominos. Also when someone arises the stool will be more likely to go backwards and topple itself. If on the back most of this is mitigated. IMHO three legs are bad for inside, but good for outside on unlevel surface, i.e. Milking stool or camp stool, low to the earth. Of course you may fall up at your position on the earth.
    Jim

James, you have a good point about being inside or outside. My main concern was if I fell backwards I might lose my drink.

SDC15210.jpg
    Meh...

+1 on Chet's response.

Your legs become the emergency supports and are more appropriately located this way, between the front leg and each rear leg.

The downside is that the user straddles the front leg and cannot rest their legs on the stretcher without spreading their knees. This is an issue for a tall bar stool where the user feet do not reach the floor.

If you have confidence in your splay and don't believe stability to be an issue, then I would keep the leg at the back.

I'll admit that I've sat on a few 4 legged bar stools back in the day and have always rotated the stool so one leg was to the front so it was easy to rest my feet on the stretcher/foot rest rather then trying to squeeze my 2 big feet in-between 2 of the legs. After all, how large can a leg be that you have to spread your knees so far apart to straddle a stool leg, maybe 1 inch if metal legs or 2 inches if wood legs??? Admittedly, on a 3 legged stool the legs would be further apart, but still. Richard was right on the pictures showing 1 leg to the rear. Just a guess on my part but maybe that was so the pictures didn't look so busy with all those legs???? Lastly, IMO Richard's last sentence makes the most sense, especially if alcohol is involved. Just my 2 cents.

I would add the 4th leg.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Design Elements

I've been pondering a bar stool design and its leg orientation for the past few months now. For some years I have been keen to build Windsor chairs, and I recently began thinking that a way to start would be to build three Windsor stools - the stools are the last part needed to complete the kitchen I began at the start of last year.

Pete Galbert's perch stool would make sense if I was building a stool for the workshop.

This version is made by an Australian chairmaker, Glen Rundell ...

This looks very ergonomic as it aids in maintaining a straight back. However, I want three bar stools for the kitchen, where one is inclined to slouch a little, and I do not think that the perch stool will work there. I like the look of three- as opposed to four legs, but this complicates the design in as much as how best to position the legs.

Pete also has built stools with four legs, and of course they are beautiful ...

Of four-legged bar stools, mention must be made of Curtis Buchanan, who is a hero of mine and a doyen of chairmakers. As far as I know, he has not made any three-legged bar stools ...

The granddaddy of the modern three-legged stool (in my opinion) is Wharton Esherick, who made the most beautiful stools. He brought together great skills as an artist (his training) and passion for woodworking into sculptural furnituremaker, and really was instrumental in help launch the era of studio furniture. I love the free-flowing lines and seat that appeared to have no specific side - however, on closer examination, they force two legs to the front.

These stools have a irreverence that appeals to me, and I love the free form design. No one is the same as another.

My favourite image ...

Eshertick's is a design that also appeals as often the stools in our kitchen are pulled away from the breakfast bar and someone will sit on their rear (the kitchen opens into the livingroom).

Everyone was influenced by Esherick.

Here is an example by another Australian, Bern Chandley ...

Nakashima's Mira bar stool ..

I have spent the past 6 weeks (including a 2 week break overseas) gearing up by building tools (I'll post these separately). It's time to finalise the design and get on with it!

Regards from Perth

Derek

I'm nearly finished with a three legged stool for use in the shop. I went with the single leg in the back to allow easy access to the stretcher for a footrest. Will have to wait an see about stability.

Tall stools need a good foot rest to be comfortable, a back rest helps a great deal but if your feet rest on a thin bar they bounce around in discomfort. A good foot rest and back rest really require 4 legs.
    It's more a question of how uncomfortable a stool can you tolerate because a tall three legged stool will be less comfortable than 4 legs.

A short 3 legged stool with feet on the floor has a chance of being as comfortable as 4 legs but not as stable.

For a tall stool the foot rest design would dictate the leg position more than stability considerations.

One of the few benefits of a stool is the ability to swivel your arse in any direction without moving the stool, your feet provide the swivel motion, fewer legs to get in the way of your feet are great; when the cow moves around you can swivel to follow it.

I just really dislike tall stools, always have!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Blog Entries
    One thing you may want to avoid is having guests ask, "how are you supposed to sit on this thing?" That would make me think twice about an extra abstract seat.

One thing to consider is how office furniture evolved. Three wheeled bases gave way to four wheeled bases. Then here in the states the four wheelers gave way to the five wheelers. Of course most taller stools have stayed with four legs since if someone is about to tip over on one of those the bartender usually cuts them off.

My solution was a one legged stool:

Neander Stool.jpg

Maybe a taller version could have a couple of pegs for foot rests.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-14-2018 at 11:33 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

How tall is tall, William?

I hear you regarding the foot rest. I am planning to use the cross bracing design of Etherick on all legs, rather than the "T" bracing that seems so common today, with 2 legs at the front.

My decision is whether a carved Windsor seat is preferred to the more plain (but still recessed and bottom-friendly) Esherick-type seat, and whether 3 legs are the equal of 4?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Time to knock a 3 and a 4 legged mockup together from plywood, lumber, glue and screws to see how one compares to the other. They don't have to be pretty or the same form or shape as the final ones just something you and your wife can hop on and off to see if they topple or kick out from under you.