Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Three-leg bar stool

A bar stool is typically tall enough that you need someplace to rest your feet. With that in mind, the 2 legs with the stretcher would go in front. I made a 3 legged Windsor type stool for my shop, like your first picture, to sit at when I can do something sitting down. Not quite as tall as a bar stool. It has a round seat. I find that sometimes I want to rest my feet on the rung, other times I put the "center" leg forward so I can have my feet on the floor and brace myself when working. The round seat also allows one to swivel around easily. You could make the legs, then try a shaped and round seat made of softwood on them and see which one works the best for you before making them out of hardwood. Maybe you will end up with several different seats! That would be a conversation starter.

Just a comment on the foot rest. We have metal bar stools. The foot rest is a round stretcher. It’s fine with shoes on, but very uncomfortable with socks or bare feet. Something about the round shape that is just putting too much pressure on one area of the foot. For my comfort, I’d plan something more flat...

Blog Entries
    Bern’s design is really wonderful. I’d probably put two legs and the foot rest in the front. This design presumably relies upon the splay to become stable more-so than the determination of the front.

Are these actually bar height or counter height? Counter height is usually better looking.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Round style foot pegs vs flat style foot pegs or full floorboards on a motorcycle will quickly tell you the same thing, regardless of the boots you may be wearing. Now as to the flip flop biker crowd...........no idea.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Bern’s design is really wonderful. I’d probably put two legs and the foot rest in the front. This design presumably relies upon the splay to become stable more-so than the determination of the front.

Are these actually bar height or counter height? Counter height is usually better looking.
    I agree Brian. These are one of my favourites - a reworking of Eshelrick. The footrest is unclear - square on one and angled on the other. It is flat on the top, which Phil will like

His website: http://www.bernchandleyfurniture.com/#/new-gallery-4/

Nice contemporary designs.

Bar or counter height? Counter height is what I am working with. Why are they called bar stools in a kitchen?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    How tall is tall, William?

I hear you regarding the foot rest. I am planning to use the cross bracing design of Etherick on all legs, rather than the "T" bracing that seems so common today, with 2 legs at the front.

My decision is whether a carved Windsor seat is preferred to the more plain (but still recessed and bottom-friendly) Esherick-type seat, and whether 3 legs are the equal of 4?

While the Esherick design has a simple elegance the bracing is not a serious foot rest so as soon as the height lifts your feet off the floor you have a dilemma. A four legged stool can have ascending cross bracing to accommodate different leg lengths. This stool rotation dictates the seat type.
    Bar stools at a crowded bar rely on a 'swivel' effect to get people on and off the seat and fit more people at the bar. Lovers swivel themselves towards each other as they smooch etc. Tall backed chairs with 4 legs at a bar are positively antisocial. One benefit of three legs is the close interlocking possible with two stools and the couple sitting on them.

I see little use for a Windsor type chair seat on a 'stool' unless you incorporate a mechanical swivel under the seat as many have done.

Given peoples different leg lengths four legs offer four cross brace height options but the three options of three legs may be enough.

For me the cross brace foot comfort is the limiting factor in wanting to 'get the heck off that stool'.

The taller the stool the narrower the cross brace as you move away from the floor footprint; unless the legs are parallel, which would be a disaster with 3 legs. So the taller stool compounds the foot rest issue, the floor footprint and stability.

If it's really a 'stool' then for me it needs to be as short as possible for stability, have a 'swivel' component for access and egress. Stools for lovers; three legs, close and sexy. The real dilemma......foot rests people can enjoy using.
    Last edited by William Fretwell; 01-14-2018 at 1:14 PM. Reason: ;
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Blog Entries
    try a shaped and round seat made of softwood
    Is there any softwood in Australia?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Derek,

Counter stools. Looking forward to seeing how this project unfolds, I've been mulling over stool designs myself for an upcoming event.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I really prefer the original, both from an aesthetic and functional standpoint.

There's forced joint to fail (as the copies have the third leg support just into the crowwbar supporting the other two).

Still, it'll be interesting to see what you end up doing

Another factor to consider is the height of stool users. Shorter users and children or grandchildren will require stability (perhaps flared legs) and a footrest for climbing up.
    You might consider a footrest lower down ,with the stretchers closer to the seat where they are less likely to loosen with time.
    Sounds like a fun project

I do like it! Of course, you could always make a few shapes and step on them in stocking feet to see what feels best....but even I’ll admit, that might be taking it a bit far

Blog Entries
    The chair and stool courses I have taken all suggest making a model using metal/bendable legs. Schwarz, Langsner and Glalbert use this method to test out various leg and seat angles. In one of Schwarz’s new books “The Anarchist’s Design Book” there is a three leg chair, which he terms a staked backstool. Schwarz puts two legs in the front of his backstool.

”As my backstool came together I sat on it at every stage in construction. At first I expected to be tossed to the floor. That didn’t happen. And when I had my first formal sit-down in the completed backstool, here’s what I felt: stable”

” My front legs were planted over the front legs of the backstool. My tailbone was on top of the rear leg. I cautiously creeped my cheeks left. Then right. I reached for my fourth beer.
    And.....nothing.”

The noteworthy detail here is that Schwarz’s feet were planted over the front legs and his tail was situated over the third leg.

I suspect the splay/rake of the legs and seat will have a major influence on how tippy the chair/stool will be. I have bar stools with four straight legs that are very tippy. We tend to caution anyone who attempts to sit in them to lean back only if they want to bite the dust.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 01-15-2018 at 9:39 AM.

I am not really concerned about the tipping risk of these stools. The issues are nicely discussed and demonstrated by Roy and Chris in the following edition of The Woodwright's Shop ...

http://www.pbs.org/video/woodwrights...ked-furniture/

Look around the 8:30 minute mark onward.

Regards from Perth

Derek

14. My 3 legged shop stool is rock solid. It would take some sort of "accident" for one to tip over on it. Now, my 3 year old rambunctious Granddaughter could tip it before tipping a 4 legged stool, but I doubt a sober adult would ever have an issue with stability. 3 legs look great, and make the stool lighter also. I know yours will turn out great looking!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I am not really concerned about the tipping risk of these stools. The issues are nicely discussed and demonstrated by Roy and Chris in the following edition of The Woodwright's Shop ...

http://www.pbs.org/video/woodwrights...ked-furniture/

Look around the 8:30 minute mark onward.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Great link Derek!

Working with models and resultant angles to get functional leg placement without the math.

Wish I had found this earlier.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 01-15-2018 at 10:08 AM.