Thread: Magnetic task light question

Magnetic task light question

When sharpening blades and doing dovetails and other fine work I could use more light directed at the project. If you use a magnetic based task lamp when doing fine work I'd like to hear about it. I want a magnetic base so I can move it from machine to machine when not being used at the workbench. Thanks.

I have a couple of these Magnetic-Mount LED Work Light that I got from LV. They work vary well and easily go from flood to beam, also just as easily go from mag to bench.

Quote Originally Posted by James Spillman View Post
    When sharpening blades and doing dovetails and other fine work I could use more light directed at the project. If you use a magnetic based task lamp when doing fine work I'd like to hear about it. I want a magnetic base so I can move it from machine to machine when not being used at the workbench. Thanks.
    James,

There have been some recent threads discussing this you might search for.

I personally have a task light addiction. I have them at the lathes, bandsaw, drill press, sharpening station, mill & metal lathe, for carving, etc. I have a variety of lights but my favorites are the Super Nova lights I buy from Ken Rizza at Woodturners Wonders. One is visible in this photo of my secondary lathe, attached with a big magnet to a steel plate I fastened to a wood surface, the light head right above the lathe headstock. I think I have six of these around the shop. Very bright, powerful magnet, long gooseneck. They use 110v, not batteries. Not cheap.

lights_IMG_20160811_092917_.jpg

I took this picture the last time this was discussed. The Super Nova is on thee left, a cheap "sewing machine" light is on the right. Both are aimed at the wall behind the grinders. Both are turned on.

Lights_SN_sewing.jpg

I use the steel plates in several places in the shop where a suitable iron/steel surface is not handy. I just cut a piece of steel plate, maybe 2x6, maybe 1/8 to 1/4" thick, drill four holes, and fasten it to some surface with screws.

There are lots of cheaper options, maybe check the recent thread. Unfortunately, you sometimes get what you pay for!

JKJ

Blog Entries
    My task lights are the older style made to plug into a 1/2" hole in a plastic clamp. The plastic clamp sits in a box somewhere. One of my holders is a small section of tree trunk with a 1/2" hole that can be moved about. There are also 1/2" holes drilled in the tables by my water stone sharpening station. For use on the bench one of my dogs has a 1/2" hole in the top to hold the lamp.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I have a magnetic base goose neck lamp on my band saw. It works just fine.
    lamp.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Chet R Parks View Post
    I have a couple of these Magnetic-Mount LED Work Light that I got from LV. They work vary well and easily go from flood to beam, also just as easily go from mag to bench.
    I can second that.... I bought one of these to use with my band saw and sometimes use it on my lathe or drill press.. very handy and plenty of light.

I have three or four around the shop, including a 3w LED unit with a switchable mag base that I move between my bandsaw and grinder. But lately, I've gone more low-tech. The regular e26-based household LED bulbs have gotten so cheap and so bright lately - some pumping out over 1000 lumens - that I've started putting them in regular desk lamps and using them in the shop. On the up-side, they are cheap, there are lots of fixtures in which to use them, they provide a nice wide flood pattern of light, they tend to be color-balanced for indoor usage, and they run relatively cool. On the down side, they are a bit more bulky and can be more difficult to position precisely.

I got one of the cheap Luxo-style desk laps from the office big box store and use it on my bench with the Lee Valley Lamp Bushing, which fits neatly inside a 3/4" dog hole. It is fantastic and can be moved around on the bench as you need it.

TedP

another vote for the LV light here.

Also, sometimes I use a LED lenser H7