Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time to upgrade the old Sears Craftsman Table Saw.

Clarence. A contrary opinion. I'm a basement workshop hobbyist. I'd go with the new Delta at Lowes. I've lusted after the big old iron cabinet saws too, but when I thought about how few hours a week I have to spend in the shop, I dont want to give up several weeks of that time to master and restore an old saw, no matter how much better a person it would make me. I'd rather make things. I figure that the actual minutes of run time on my cheap right-tilt saw in a given year are too few to make a major investment in a new saw. You have to judge your time/money situation to determine what's the best value to you.

Hey Clarence, there is one situation where a Right tilt saw is definitely preferable. If you ever install a sliding table,they fit on the left side of the blade. So now when you cut bevels you have the bevel "up" just like a left tilt saw without the slider. Also I have used right tilt saws my whole career and as long as they are tuned and your stock is planed and square there is really no issues ripping bevels. If I was buying now I would buy the best used saw I could find and whether it tilted right or left would not matter to me.YMMV.Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Sounds like a potential safety issue was brewing, Clarence. Scrapping it is probably a good idea given the dearth of parts availability.
    Sending my Craftsman table saw of similar vintage to the scrap pile was the best decision I made in regards to my shop. I bought a Unisaw and never looked back.

About the only things worth parting out on my Table Saw, are the Motor and possibly the cast iron top and extension wings. I priced a replacement Motor for that Saw, and Sears Parts lists the replacement Motor at about $340.00 . If the Motor is in good shape, which it is, what is that Motor worth ?

Clarence - That is best answered at the OWWM vintage machinery forum, they have a classified sales section called "BOYD"- Bring out yer dead.

http://www.owwm.org/

Marc