Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for comments on a SuperMax 25/50

Just curious, Mike, how much did you get for the 16-32?

Supermax says their cloth backed belts can actually be soaked to clean the sandpaper. Mike do you have a crepe stick for cleaning belts? They really work.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Just curious, Mike, how much did you get for the 16-32?
    $600 - I thought it was fair and I guess the buyer thought it was fair. It was in very good condition and I cleaned it up before I put it up for sale so it looked really good. I chose $600 because I felt it would give me some negotiating room - I could drop to $500 and still be satisfied with the price.

One thing that worried me was that Rockler announced a sale of the SuperMax 16-32 for $999 on the day that I put it in Craigslist. The new one has a couple of nice features that this one doesn't have.

Here are a few pictures:

Overall picture showing the stand
    2018-01-30JetSander001.jpg

Close up of the main body
    2018-01-30JetSander002.jpg

I put fresh sandpaper on the drum before taking the pictures.
    2018-01-30JetSander003.jpg

And a view of the motor:
    2018-01-30JetSander004.jpg

Just as a side note, I bought the 16-32 used and paid $500 for it. When I bought it, the seller had not cleaned it up and was motivated to get rid of it. He had bought some new equipment and wanted to get the old things out of his shop.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-31-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Supermax says their cloth backed belts can actually be soaked to clean the sandpaper. Mike do you have a crepe stick for cleaning belts? They really work.
    I do, and I tried it. Didn't work to remove that pitch (sap).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'd say the buyer got a fair deal. I would have bought it for that if I lived closer. My 10-20 is feeling small these days.

That's why I don't let pine in my shop. I hate pine.

I bought the widest drum sander that I can fit into my shop - it can sand up to 25 inches wide. And wouldn't you know it - I get a job to make a table top for an RV and the tabletop is 26 inches wide.

I guess there's some woodworking law out there that your project is always wider than your tools.

Here's the table top in rough form. It's ambrosia maple. The guy saw one of my jewelry boxes in ambrosia maple and loved the wood. The top is a bit wider than 26 inches now and a bit longer than it needs to be.
    RVTableTop01.jpg

This is an end view. The table top lifts up and this end will be the end that pivots. I chose the wood so the markings all go towards the lifting end.
    RVTableTop02.jpg

Mike

Very nice, Mike. I guess this means you haven't tried flipping the stock to sand things wider than 25"? I remember you saying that didn't work well with your previous drum sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Very nice, Mike. I guess this means you haven't tried flipping the stock to sand things wider than 25"? I remember you saying that didn't work well with your previous drum sander.
    You're right. I haven't tried it yet on this sander. May give it a shot.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I do, and I tried it. Didn't work to remove that pitch (sap).

Mike
    try running a board crossgrain.