Thread: How do i determine overlay of concealed European hinges?

How do i determine overlay of concealed European hinges?

I have a large refacing project to do in my workshop. I am going to reface the cabinets and bring them into the 21st century. I have learned that the hardware is the most expensive even if i buy my hinges from a place like wwhardware.com I stopped by my local Habitat Restore today and they have bags of 6 for $2 each... the problem is i dont see a number on them like i have on some other hinges. it there a way to determine if its a 1/2, 3/4, full overlay hinge etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It may be that the only reliable way to answer your question is to buy a bag and make a sample.

First, and most important question. What brand of hinge? The quality varies greatly from brand to brand. For me, Blum is the gold standard. It used to be Hettic, till my distributor dropped that line in favor of Blum. The "no names" hinges aren't up to my standards. I don't want a call back because I saved a couple bucks on hinges

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    First, and most important question. What brand of hinge? The quality varies greatly from brand to brand. For me, Blum is the gold standard. It used to be Hettic, till my distributor dropped that line in favor of Blum. The "no names" hinges aren't up to my standards. I don't want a call back because I saved a couple bucks on hinges
    It says FLT on the hinge. I’m kinda with ya on the no name bs Blum hinges, but I was sort of seduced by the price lol

I agree with Jamie. Buy a bag and find out. $2 is dirt cheap so don't expect too great quality unless they are someone's clearance discount. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Is that $2 for a bag of 6, or $2 ea? You can buy Blum 38N 3/4" overlay compact hinges 3-way adjustable soft close for $1.91 each.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I have built number of custom kitchens over the year and have always used Blum hardware. Their catalogue has great pics showing how each hinge, drawer slide,etc work in relation to the cabinet. Have never had a hinge fail.