Thread: hollows & rounds

hollows & rounds

How would you recommend getting a 1/4 or 1/2 set of good user grade H&R's? Down in central TX there really aren't local sources, and I'd rather just buy some from a trusted seller. I'd certainly like a set from Bickford or someone like that but I'd like to try for a while with some vintage ones to gain some skills, and maybe those would be all I ever need. One place I've seen is Jim Bode, who will sell sets of mix and matched makers for ~$300 for 18 planes. Maybe I'd go up to $500 or so. Any other suggestions?

Blog Entries
    $300 for a half set, 18 planes, isn't a bad price. Mixed sets are often referred to as a harlequin set or a double harlequin set. A harlequin set has each pair of hollows and rounds made by the same maker but the makers are not all the same for all the pairs. A double harlequin set has mixed makers among the individual pairs.

My accumulation of H&R's cost a lot less, but a lot of time was spent running around and hunting them down. Also due to not keeping a list up to day some sizes are duplicated. Some may say the hunt was an addition to the cost. Others would say it was part of the fun.

Here is a post on rehabbing old wood bodied planes you may find of interest:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hab-Enthusiast

My 'half' set of H&R's still has a few sizes missing so the hunt continues.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If you're looking for a path forward that balances between money and speed I recommend the following.

Pick up two or three pairs of H&R's (e.g. #4, #6, and #8) and Larry William's DVD on making them (so you can fix them).

Based on my experience used sets require some very doable fettling, even from dealers.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Stanley also sold H&R bottoms and cutters that fit their #45 plane.....and a "Nosing" cutter, as well....a bit hard the find the #12 size ( 3/4")....the #4, #6, And the #8 can also be found made by Record.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Stanley also sold H&R bottoms and cutters that fit their #45 plane.....and a "Nosing" cutter, as well....a bit hard the find the #12 size ( 3/4")....the #4, #6, And the #8 can also be found made by Record.
    Those tend to cost more and are harder to find than the hollows and rounds they would replace.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Yes, but not easy to find unless you've got a big wallet stuffed full of large-denomination bills.

About the same as the wooden set.....

Try reaching out to Patrick Leach. He frequently has hollows and rounds on his monthly list of goodies for sale. I've not bought any wooden planes from him but have been satisfied with all of the other tools I have purchased. Some folks here will fuss about pricing (though I suspect some of them would fuss and say that somebody who bought a 604 for $5 was robbed and should have gotten it for $2) but I do not begrudge a man for trying to make a living. If you like the price fine, if not, don't buy and keep looking. In my experience he is a straight shooter on descriptions of his wares, they come quickly and well packaged, and in my mind, those things bring value to the proposition.

Blog Entries
    About the same as the wooden set.....
    Currently there are no listings on the auction site we shall not name. These shown are from the completed listings:

Nov to Dec.png

The first set is complete. Incidentally only a few of my hollows and rounds cost me more than $10 apiece.

The second set doesn't have blades. The third set is not only missing blades, it only has one thumb screw. The last set has only one blade.

It looks like a set of eight incomplete sizes (this isn't a true comparison these include two #6 sizes and is only for illustration purposes) at these prices would cost about $100 more than the $300 the OP mentioned for a set of 9 complete pairs.

It is fun to spend other people's money. If it were your own money which would you see as the better buy?

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post
    How would you recommend getting a 1/4 or 1/2 set of good user grade H&R's? Down in central TX there really aren't local sources, and I'd rather just buy some from a trusted seller. I'd certainly like a set from Bickford or someone like that but I'd like to try for a while with some vintage ones to gain some skills, and maybe those would be all I ever need. One place I've seen is Jim Bode, who will sell sets of mix and matched makers for ~$300 for 18 planes. Maybe I'd go up to $500 or so. Any other suggestions?
    I have a set from Jim Bode, and they were all in good condition.