Thread: Brand with a B as a logo?

Brand with a B as a logo?

Hello

I bought a copy of a #40 on the bay.
    The plane was extremely grotty and after a first citric acid bath, I could see the logo for the brand on the body and iron.

The "frog" seems different than the original one and the cap iron is made of a light metal.

Could somebody please help me identify this brand?

For info the seller was in Latvia.

I apologize if this is a known brand, I never came accross this logo.

Many thanks for your help

riflard.jpg

2. It is not B, it is V in Cyrillic.
    Brand is Sestroretsk tool works, during SSSR time Voskov Tool factory. Sestroretsk tool works were established as weapon factory in 18th century by Peter the Great.

There are web resources on Soviet and Russian hand planes on the web, and I think there is a model similar to yours from same factory.

Спасибо Bogdan!

I was mentionning the country of the seller because I was suspecting a russian brand.

Many thanks for your help, now I will read a bit about this exotic company.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogdan Ristivojevic View Post
    It is not B, it is V in Cyrillic.
    Brand is Sestroretsk tool works, during SSSR time Voskov Tool factory. Sestroretsk tool works were established as weapon factory in 18th century by Peter the Great.

There are web resources on Soviet and Russian hand planes on the web, and I think there is a model similar to yours from same factory.
    Nice, I really appreciate the response. I would never have guessed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogdan Ristivojevic View Post
    It is not B, it is V in Cyrillic.

Wow some awesome history there, thanks for commenting.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

6. Soviet planes are interesting subject, but generally they are simpler, and cheaper built than western tools from the same period. Some Voskov scrubs are exception, as well as Record 43 copy from the same factory. I have one, and it serves me well.

If I remember correctly, Voskov also made small, No1 size plane, but it have strange handle top. I newer saw it for sale here, Russian planes are as rare as metal western planes here. German or German influenced planes are a bit different story.