Thread: DUHHhhh - How to mix 5 gal NC Lacquer ?

DUHHhhh - How to mix 5 gal NC Lacquer ?

Maybe a dumb question..... How do you guys agitate a 5 gal drum of NC Lacquer or anything else solvent base w/o an air mixer?

Waterbase I would use a drill w paddle mixer, or in a one gal can of anything simply a stir stick.

But what about a 5 of flammable stuff ?

Ready to order a 5 of a certain basic SW NC Lacquer, regular NC stuff, nothing odd requiring constant agitation... when I realize the only thing I ever got before in a 5 was thinner.. no problem w that, I flip it upside down couple times and fill a easily shakable one gal once per spray day and feel fine w that.

But how to handle the Lacquer ?

Probably will get full Gloss, but still, even w/o flatteners it still needs some mixing.

The stuff I want ONLY comes in 5 gal or 55, and all I can figure is to open the lid, mix w a clean stick for awhile, then immediately re pack it in one gal cans, for easy future mixing.

But then, it turns out, now a new problem... virtually all it seems one gal empty paint cans are plastic lined, so now I may end up w degraded chips of junk in my new lacquer.

Did I miss some obvious solution??

Wanted to ask you guys rather than the SW guy.. that might think if I don't know this, I don't deserve the trade discount !!

Marc

Marc, have you thought about a paddle mixer that sheetrock installers use. I know you are concerned with it being flammable, but that is the only thing I could think of. As far as the 1 gallon paint cans, I bought some at Lowes that was all steel last year. Maybe you could look there.

Assuming it is round, lay it on it's side and roll it around?

For nitro lacquer, a clean flat stick does just fine. Otherwise just an air drill with a $5 mixing paddle in it. Since air power is off the option list, the flat stick will do. It's all I used for about 30 years at work at all I still use at home. At work I spent a few dollars on a quality Atlas Copco air drill about 10 years ago. It has mixed full drums of heavy epoxy every day since then and still works fine. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

My old boss liked to mix the 5 and then use these jugs to divide it. https://www.mcmaster.com/#plastic-jugs/=1b3x8fk.

If you're worried about the solvents catching fire from the spark in a brushed drill motor... I wouldnt really worry overly much, as you need a pretty precise mix of gas for that - however, to be on the safe side you could just use a brushless drill? They are not that expensive, and an extra cordless drill around is always a good thing. No sparks from a brushless motor!