Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Bought a New Car By Getting Bids from Dealers

I bought my last new vehicle, a 2015 model, over the internet. I had some familiarity with a 2012 same model and knew exactly what I wanted and what color. I discovered that many dealers, at least here in SE Michigan, have an "internet salesperson" devoted strictly to that purpose. So I got bids from the 3 closest dealers, all were over an hour's drive, and took the lowest one. That dealer did not have the vehicle in stock but traded with another dealer to get it. Initial paperwork was even signed securely over the internet, although I did have to make a 2 trips there. One to sign some paperwork in person and one to pick up the vehicle.

But the process did save me a lot of time and travel miles because before dealers would not give you a "good" price over the phone thinking that you could just be another dealer checking the competition's price. And I did get a better price on the vehicle than if I just went to the showroom.

That's pretty much the way I bought my Forester back in 2003. I emailed 8-10 dealers within 100 miles or so and basically said "what's your best price for a black forester manual .....". I got a few responses that were essentially msrp, a few that wouldn't bite (this was 14 years ago, before the "internet sales dept" was a big part of the dealership), and 3 or 4 that played ball. I got them to go back a forth a few times each and eventually got the lowest price which was well below invoice.

I did the same with my wife's car and will do the same with my new car in the Summer - hopefully the new Subaru Ascent.

Nice work Andrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I did the same with my wife's car and will do the same with my new car in the Summer - hopefully the new Subaru Ascent.
    Good choice there...very attractive and very functional. I'm looking forward to 'fondling' one once they are out as someday, I'll need a new vehicle and as much as I love our Outbacks, I prefer the next size up which Subaru will now be offering.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was born and raised on a large carlot and know how to make a deal. Find a company that does that on the internet--first read Consumer reports car issue for a month. Then contact the company and fill out theform on the I.N. You have notify them of--the exact model and trim line and equipment and how far you are willing to drive to purchase and drive home. If a tradein is involved it will be agreed upon at that time (a bad idea). They will do all the contactng by I.N. to many, many dealers --they will contact you with offers and perhaps near identical autos or equipment. Saved thousands this way on several cars and PU,s. But the best part is no hustle and game-playing with the sales team--I hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McQuinn View Post
    Andrew,
    Great method of securing a good price. Just wondered, how did your price compare to the ACA/Subaru Pricing? I've used that in the past and it also seems to eliminate the fluff.
    Enjoy your Impreza, perhaps add some feedback once you've acclimated to the vehicle.
    Mac
    I'm not an ACA member Mac, but price one as I specified and report back. I haven't driven the car at all, but my wife loves it.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I'm not an ACA member Mac, but price one as I specified and report back. I haven't driven the car at all, but my wife loves it.
    Andrew,
    I believe pricing through ACA is somewhere around 2% below invoice minus any incentives in place at delivery.
    Mac

Affiliation discounts are typically 2% below invoice plus the benefit of any available incentives. Some programs also limit the fees a dealer can tack onto a deal on the backend. I did use one when I bought my JGC in 2012, but can get 6% below invoice at this point plus the benefits of any available incentives via a "group buy" from a Jeep focused forum I help moderate. Subaru has their ambassador program (generally an extra $500 off if you can get a certificate from one of their "ambassadors") and they also participate in some incentive programs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...