Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In-shop Location Space Question for CNC

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post

And the verdict is in...yup...I think that's going to work, particularly if I make my bench mobile again so I can get it out of the way for finishing processes.
    Don't forget the need to run DC ductwork to it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Don't forget the need to run DC ductwork to it.
    In this position, it's already there over head, gate and all and doesn't even need modification technically, although I may extend it a foot and a half over to center on the machine. I just need to extend the air line down the wall for more convenient hookup for the Z-axis assist.

Edit...Bruce I got a photo of the DC drop today after making some minor alignment adjustments so it's better suited for for overhead to the CNC as well as putting on a quick disconnect end. I will need to tee off on the air line and bring it down the wall for the spindle lift. I'll do that at the same time I bring in the 4-wire 240v 30a circuit that the machine requires.

IMG_0078.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-23-2018 at 4:45 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Epoxy that floor real quick

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Epoxy that floor real quick
    I probably should have done that years ago, but at this point...too much upheaval and it couldn't be done until warm weather, anyway. Besides, I'm used to the, um...patina... (You should see the area where I've been spraying finish for years... )
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    But Bob...it would be the unveiling of a new power tool. How could you resist that?
    Ahhhh, you're right, I'll need to see this thing in action!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cherry View Post
    Ahhhh, you're right, I'll need to see this thing in action!
    And then you will want one and have to expand your shop further. (yea...I'm an enabler...)

----

For folks following this saga, I'm about to order the SR-44 with "most of the trimmings" and will be setting up as a formal business, too. After speaking with my accountant over a delicious lunch on Friday, it seems the best path forward, even if things ultimately revert back to "hobby" over time.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-21-2018 at 10:08 AM.
    --

Way ahead of you, I’m already doing the layout in my mind....

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cherry View Post
    Way ahead of you, I’m already doing the layout in my mind....
    --

I have an SR44 as well and it sets about the same way in my shop as you are looking at. Works well and haven’t had an issue with access mainly to 3 sides. Only downside would be a tiling job but haven’t tried that and could move it out if it was important. I bought a set of heavy casters to move it in originally and thought about leaving them on but removed them as I was concerned about movement during a cut?

My dust collection is overhead as well, only suggestion I might make is to put the quick disconnect on/at the dust shoe to make it convenient when changing bits. I used a 4” piece of pipe to make the attachment to the shoe and it is nice having it close by. Just a thought, good luck with the new machine. Will try to find a picture if interested.

Edited to add a photo. Shows the dust collector and quick connect on a piece of pipe connected to the Kent dust shoe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Martin88; 01-27-2018 at 7:19 AM.

Dave, that’s an interesting idea about using a quick disconnect at the shoe. I’ll look into it.

I also thought of a potential mobility solution this morning while browsing an HF flyer. My utility trailer has a flip up wheeled jack...four of them could potentially be used to move the stinger yet keep the feel planted on the floor otherwise. The ones they have support 1000 lbs (each) and are on sale for under $20 each. They potentially can be attached to the side rails near the corners and I don’t think they would interfere with anything when flipped horizontal to storage position. I have to look at them more closely...and it will make getting the machine into my shop, too. My door is 72” so I’ll have to uncrate in the driveway outside the shop. Hmmmm...

Decided on real double-locking casters for mobility; undecided about leaving them on and jacking on fixed leveling for normal use (higher working height) or removing them for normal height. I have time to think about that. Kent shipped the dust shoe within about 8 hours of my order, so that will be here long before the yellow machine arrives--I thought it would take a lot longer for some reason. LOL All my electrical is now ready...I was blessed with a direct path for straight conduit to within a few inches of the panel in the DC closet which kept the cost for the 10 gage wire down. While I have the open space to work, I'm going to rip out the hidden window and replace it with a real insulated wall in prep for a mini-split and also insulate the ceiling. Having the space to work can be a blessing for that so I'll take advantage of the "CNC pregnancy" period. I can then make the air line more permanent.

IMG_0189.jpg
    --

CNC pregnacy. How true. I got a good laugh from that Jim.

i had the cnc your buying. had on wheels for first year plus but they where so crappy had to really struggle to move, bought good wheels then all of sudden had the moving cnc issue when running so took the wheels off.

It will probably be very rare that you would need to move your CNC Router so I suggest that you purchase four good quality dollies and use them instead of installing casters. You will be a able to use the dollies for moving other machines or material as well, its a much more practical approach.

Keith, I do appreciate that moving it will be a few and far between thing--only if I need to run something longer than the bed via tiling. But beyond that, the 4" double-locking casters I ordered are the better solution for physically getting my machine into the shop when it arrives. My driveway is stone/gravel and not exactly flat/level, particularly at the double door. Dollies will not roll on the stone well...known from previous experience trying with other heavy things. I'm going to have to uncrate on the driveway because the door is 72" wide and the pallet is 78" wide, so I have to go with what I know will work. Unfortunately I can't have the rollback get it through the door intact due to the width. Even with the nice wheels, I'm going to have to leverage some of the crate materials to smooth the way to the door. Once it's in place, I can jack and remove the casters or jack and place leveling blocks if I don't mind the extra 5" of height. The cost for the the quality casters wasn't much different than buying capable dollies, too.
    --