Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aspire camp 2018 at mcgrews

Aspire camp 2018 at mcgrews

ASPIRE CAMP 2018 AT MCGREWS

Keith Outen IS one of our Speakers !

READY TO DO IT AGAIN, LAST YEAR I HAD SOME KNEE REPLACEMENTS AND AM READY TO HAVE SOME FUN..

For those new ask questions for the hundreds who have attended over the last ten years Bring it on !

This Year We are having a ticket vote for best show and tell so bring yer projects, remember even the simplest matter !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Harbison
    Hilton Garden Inn Columbia/Harbison
    434 Columbiana Drive

Columbia, SC, 29212

American Inn St. Andrews
    1337 Garner Lane
    Columbia, SC, 29210

Comfort Inn Columbia
    911 Bush River Road, Columbia, SC 29210

Some have stayed at the Red roof in on Two Notch road

Red Roof Inn Columbia East Ft Jackson
    7580 Two Notch Road, Columbia, SC 29223

and in the Vista, walk to food bars etc.
    Hilton Columbia Center
    924 Senate Street
    Columbia, SC 29201
    Phone: 803-744-7800
    Fax: 803-744-7777
    Tollfree: 800-HILTONS

SpringHill Suites by Marriott-Columbia Downtown/The Vista
    511 Lady Street
    Columbia, SC, 29201

Hyatt Place Columbia/Downtown/Vista
    819 Gervais Street
    Columbia, SC, 29201

Columbia Marriott Hotel
    1200 Hampton Street
    Columbia, SC, 29201

CVB SITE
    http://www.columbiacvb.com/hotels/

Do you go into the WinCNC coding to the same level as Gary does at his? I have always wanted to attend one of Gary's for that, but never have made the trek.

Thanks

I have corrected refund policy to as needed, Life throws curves, we have to account for them.

I have asked the presenters the wincnc question, the focus of the camp is the use of a cnc by a broad spectrum of vectric end users, these guys have many different machines, There will be plenty of Wincnc gurus there

Planning on attending as I mentioned on 'Heads, James. Look forward to meeting you!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Excellent, Camp is booking well and Mezalik has asked for interest in discussing the Rotary so it looks like that will happen, I am sure many of the 1075 who have attended over the years will tell anyone who wants to know the value of the Camp whether it is your first or tenth !

I've never been to one of Jim McGrew's Aspire Camps that I didn't learn something that paid off big time. The lectures are great and the interaction with other attendees is invaluable. Both provide an opportunity to learn from others in the business, not just CNC but signs and a host of other techniques that I have been fortunate to participate and learn. My first exposure to gold leaf application was at Jim's event, Roger was demonstrating his techniques along with his daughter and there was a constant crowd around his demonstration. Year before last Don Mayhew from Trotec was there and he ran his laser engraver the entire time, I was able to spend a lot of time with Don and we discussed and did some practice runs on a technique that James Booth from Vectric got involved in giving us some pointers based on his experience. I learned about spraying signs with bronze coatings at Jim's, this one paid off big time on several projects I have done for customers and at Christopher Newport University.

You never know what you will learn, see or who you will meet at Jim's event.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-20-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    You never know what you will learn, see or who you will meet at Jim's event.
    This is the primary reason I signed up...particularly that very first part.
    --

It would be great to meet many of you characters in person. I am going to look into this in the next week.

We are looking to see if we can put together a collection of small CNC machines at this Vectric gathering. We are not that familiar with many of these popular brands, so we are asking for a little help.

If your machine brand distributes Vectric software with its products, lobby them to send a machine with a tech that can do some tradeshow type demos. Especially nice if they can bring a rotary axis. The machine vendors will not be charged for the booth space, which is limited.

How about a collection of small CNC woodworking machines side by side? Anyone interested?
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Just booked the event, know there is a list of hotels, is there one everyone is planning on using? Walk to food / bars would be great for the evening to continue to socialize?

Trying to get my son involved in wood working vs sitting on the computer all day. So will be bringing him along as well.

Anthony, I chose the Hyatt, but that was because I had a boat-load of points to pay for it. And I'm hoping your son will really enjoy seeing the possibilities of combing what sounds like a love/habit with computers with the act of making things. Maybe this is something that will help more younger folks embrace "making" going into the future...
    --

How important is it to have a laptop with a copy of Vectric on it? I have VcarvePro, but not a laptop and don't really want to buy one for a three-day camp.

Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle View Post
    How important is it to have a laptop with a copy of Vectric on it? I have VcarvePro, but not a laptop and don't really want to buy one for a three-day camp.
    James, I'm sure you can look on with one of us that does have a machine with us...you're welcome to do that with me, although my MBP is only a 13" screen. The downside to not having your own machine is less opportunity for hands-on. Perhaps you can borrow one from a family member or friend?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Anthony, I chose the Hyatt, but that was because I had a boat-load of points to pay for it. And I'm hoping your son will really enjoy seeing the possibilities of combing what sounds like a love/habit with computers with the act of making things. Maybe this is something that will help more younger folks embrace "making" going into the future...
    I hope so, I have a small hobby machine I use now and he sees what I carve and says "Oh wow thats cool..." Honestly, the computer will be the death of the younger crowd... Growing up I spent a lot of time with my dad in the shop and have many memories of the things we built together. Trying to pass that on in todays world is tough.