Thread: Options to deal with a weird drawer front

Options to deal with a weird drawer front

Ok, so I’m working on this curved table that will have drawers coming out the sides...a take off of a sofa table by Derek Cohen. The way this one works out, is I have a dead space next to the drawer (the dead space is at the back of the table).

So, I could do a drawer front that spans the entire distant...maybe blind dovetail on the left side, and a dado for the right side of the drawer. And it would just be this sort of a drawer front with an extended end.

Or I could do a normal drawer front (blind dovetail both sides), and just glue in a filler in the dead space. I could run a continuation of the drawer front to cover the filler (so it would look somewhat continuous across). I know it’s kind of weird to start with, but looking for any suggestions on how to deal with this unusal situation (I knew all along I was going to have to deal with it, just avoided figuring it out until now).

8FA64FF1-8FB5-456E-A7AE-35E14D28E019.jpg

I'd go with the wider drawer front. I think the narrower front makes the cabinet side look a little chopped up.
    And there's a little surprise when you do pull the drawer open. I like that.

I agree with Jamie.

You could use a sliding dovetail to join the back drawer side to the drawer front.

That little recess would be a good place to hide a key or some other small thing.

Do a wedge shaped drawer that has a side guide on the left and a bottom guide on the right. If it's too late for that, do a wide drawer front and leave a hidey hole maybe with a small inner drawer in it. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

This could be an opportunity for a secret compartment.

Thank you all! A full front drawer face it is. I fitted one side to see, and you are right that it looks better as a full side, rather than two pieces. Especially given the fact that that is the way it will be seen most of the time. The little space will only be about 2 1/2”W by 1 3/4”D. Thinking through if I want to “box” it in...but at least I can proceed to get the drawers built.

D1949852-58A2-47E2-8AAB-9DA7F7AAEAF1.jpg
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 01-12-2018 at 6:53 AM.

For those of you who offered input, I decided on a full front, half blind dovetail on the left, and a M&T for the right side of the drawer. Needs a little fine turning, and of course a bottom, but pretty pleased how it looks and that it’s actually square. Thanks again!
    42C12AF3-364E-4BE2-9037-0F90A5C7087D.jpg 150EF689-22E1-4A0A-B2B7-83508D535CE1.jpg ED48596C-F311-4BB1-A835-10E31C6612A4.jpg

Very nice work. I think it'll be perfect.

And a bottomless drawer will hole everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    And a bottomless drawer will hole everything!
    Nicely put . . .